Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley marksman patch

Webley marksman patch

Hi I'm looking for info on this round orange and black webley marksman patch please, it's identical to the webley orange and black marksman pin padge, I've only seen one other.
    I'm pretty sure it's a period original but I would like to know if any one else has one or has seen many oothers ??

I can't seem to add pictures ��

Webley

I vaguely recall a number of repros in this cloth patch format appearing on an auction site a few years back. I can't comnent on whether there were any originals in this patch format made.

I've asked my Webley contact for his input.

Not in the books, so not sure it’s original but who would produce it but Webley?

I've got a couple of these patches somewhere, which I believe were intended as 'vest' patches.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

John - what colour is the writing on yours? Found some images of what look to be vintage with what appears to be white, not grey writing.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by archer24 View Post

Not in the books, so not sure it’s original but who would produce it but Webley?
    Definitely wouldn't be the first time accessories that were never marketed by the original manufacturer have been produced by someone looking to cash in on the enthusiast marketplace.

That's just an observation, not a comment on the authenticity of the item in question...

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    John - what colour is the writing on yours? Found some images of what look to be vintage with what appears to be white, not grey writing.
    Mine has white writing on an orange background and white concentric rings with a black bull.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Definitely wouldn't be the first time accessories that were never marketed by the original manufacturer have been produced by someone looking to cash in on the enthusiast marketplace.

That's just an observation, not a comment on the authenticity of the item in question...

There were keyrings and cufflinks in the Marksman badge configurations as well, which I'm not aware there being originals of. They weren't sold as originals on that auction site, but as you've said there to cash in by an unlicensed use of a recognised image.

That said, is it wildly different to a repro stock insert or oil can? I guess you could argue as to the fact that without them people would miss out due to price or availability of originals, or guns would be left with bits missing. Not like these exact parts are OEM available anymore.
    Last edited by ashf9999; 20-02-2023 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archer24 View Post

Hi thanks yes that's identical to my one, would it be worth somebodys while to make a reproduction batch of these 🤷♀️... Would expect to see alot more of them of they were a reproduction item..

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    There were keyrings and cufflinks in the Marksman badge configurations as well, which I'm not aware there being originals of. They weren't sold as originals on that auction site, but as you've said there to cash in by an unlicensed use of a recognised image.

That said, is it wildly different to a repro stock insert or oil can? I guess you could argue as to the fact that without them people would miss out due to price or availability of originals, or guns would be left with bits missing. Not like these exact parts are OEM available anymore.
    All depends how they are sold... Some 'repros' can become 'genuine' after a few trades as well.

I must admit the condition of the patch would make me question just how 'old' it actually was...even new stuff put away for 30-40 years rarely looks like it just dropped off the sewing machine.

The old adage of "if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is" springs to mind.

My Webley contact says no, Webley did not produce such items.

Not really that bothered where it came from, if someone was producing them and selling at £8 I’d probably buy a couple more.....
    I’m thinking a marketing tool, companies I’ve worked for have tee shirts, key rings etc to be given away at trade shows, might or might not be Webley, unless you are in Webley marketing would you know?
    And Webley wouldn’t make them....

I'm not sure if Webley actually produced any of these items in house, but they had a huge range of goodies including table lamps and wrist watches as well as badges of several types. Some of the lapel badges were obtained through saving the 'token' papers found inside pellet tins. I had a table lamp that had a revolving fan blade inside, spun by the bulb heat; this gave a ''living'' effect to the shooting scene on the shade. Also whilst at the Park Lane address they made fishing rods in house, but bought in reels, and an assortment of accessories; they also bought in Bell targets and an assortment of knives. I worked there for some 10 years as lead service technician, and when they decided to convert the unused directors garages into an 'open' service centre, I found one of the large orange patch badges in a drawer of a huge gun cupboard we modified to fit into the new shop/office/reception area. No one new how long the badge had been there it was just in some 'stuff' in the drawer, but the cabinet came from the B4 address.