Thread: Antiques on/off ticket.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    With antique rifles, as opposed to shotguns, do you still have to apply for a variation for the said antique caliber in the normal way, before putting it on your ticket, or is it different with muzzleloaders and obsolete calibers ?
    Last edited by silva; 19-04-2023 at 04:19 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

This may help, copy/paste from the "Home Office guide to Firearms law" Nov 2022 edition;

Occasional firing

8.14 An antique firearm can only be held as a curiosity or ornament and cannot be fired.
    However, they can be added to a firearm or shot gun certificate for the purposes of
    collection and occasional firing. Where the ‘good reason’ for possession is
    collection and not target shooting, section 44 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act
    1997 requiring membership of a club to be named on the certificate is not
    applicable. Where a person has an antique firearm which they wish to fire for test,
    research, re-enactment, target shooting or competition purposes, no test of
    frequency of use should be applied when assessing good reason to possess: the
    primary reason for possession will be collection.

8.15 An antique firearm may be brought on to a certificate or removed from time to time
    or when there is a change of ownership. A signed statement of intent by the owner
    to the local police firearms licensing department should be sufficient to effect the
    necessary change of status when required. A variation fee would become payable
    where an ‘antique’ is brought onto certificate to allow it to be fired, unless a ‘one for
    one’ variation is sought. In the latter case, it should be borne in mind that mostly
    only mass-produced muzzle-loading arms had standardised bore sizes. Therefore,
    a variation for a craft-made muzzle-loader may require finding a suitable example
    before the calibre can be ascertained. As this may take some time, some latitude
    may be given over the time taken for such ‘one for one’ variations.

Ammunition

8.12 Ammunition does not benefit from the exemption for antique firearms, and the
    possession of live ammunition suitable for use with an otherwise antique firearm
    may indicate that the firearm is not possessed as a curiosity or ornament.

@ Silvaa

Yes you have to apply for the variation and pay unless it is a "One on one off".

If you decide you no longer want to shoot it, or indeed want to sell it you simply have to send a written statement to the police saying you are no longer shooting it. I would assume you can then apply for a vaariation for something different and on the same basis "One on one off" you do not have to pay.

Antiques on/off ticket.

I have in the past done this with little or no problems just a few questions to ensure they are section 58?, would I put 1 on my ticket in today's political climate, that would be a BIG NO, on ticket, they will reduce in value by 1/3 to 1/2 that's if you can find someone who wants 1 on ticket, sadly not many of us left these days.
    I think someone has already mentioned that ALL LIVE AMMO is on ticket, section 58 does not cover this.