Thread: Mk1 BSA Scorpion

Mk1 BSA Scorpion

Hi all
    A friend as the above pistol in his collection.
    I assume it’s a mk1 owing to the lack of scope grooves on the top of the cylinder.
    Was there only a certain number of the early ones that got recalled,because of being over powered.?
    Les..

It was only the .22 ( RA prefix ) model that was recalled and the mainspring was replaced. Can’t really see how many got sent back though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple View Post
    It was only the .22 ( RA prefix ) model that was recalled and the mainspring was replaced. Can’t really see how many got sent back though.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I will have a look at the serial number and RA prefix on the pistol.
    Regards
    Les..

I think you will find it was the piston that was changed, not the mainspring.
    Below are the two different pistons as fitted to the .22 Mk.1 Scorpion pistol.

ive always fancied one of them

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I think you will find it was the piston that was changed, not the mainspring.
    Below are the two different pistons as fitted to the .22 Mk.1 Scorpion pistol.

You are right David--but I have seen different lengths of mainsprings as well. I just checked the Idiots guide, and this is what I put.

"MAINSPRINGS ------------Ive had New/old stock springs that were 167mm long and found an earlier spring that was 192mm long. Ive been led to believe that some people have seen lengths of 177mm to 185mm. I tried a 167mm spring in a pistol and got under 5ftlb . With the longer spring power was over 5.8ftlb but the gun was hard to cock. If you buy a spring to cut down, Id go for easier cocking and power in the low 5ftlbs region"
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

This difference looks like it would affect the stroke is this correct ? and therefore is by short stroking, how BSA lowered the power on theMk1.
    Unless I'm mistaken.
    I know gggr has written warnings about attempting to long stroke Scorpions but wonder whether the 1st ones were longer stroked as standard.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Thanks for the reply’s chaps 👍.
    I have a Bsa buccaneer in 177 and it easily does 6.5-7 fp,does the longer barrel help with higher power ? Or would you think it has the other piston fitted?.
    Les..

Hmm sounds possible.
    Perhaps you should open it up and check only for giving it a clean and fresh grease of course.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

All mainsprings for all the different variations are listed on the 4 different part lists as 16-3114 for all.