Thread: Crosman 101 1920’s barrels; Steel vs. Bronze rifling

Crosman 101 1920’s barrels; Steel vs. Bronze rifling

The very first Crosman 101’s had steel barrels that are said to be from Remington? They then were said to bring barrels in-house with bronze. My two early 101’s give examples of the rifling of each. Very different, the “Remington” is sharp and narrow, the bronze much wider. Interesting to speculate which is more effective? Got to assume the Remington was used for 22LR as well? First pic is steel.

I believe I’ve read that sharp narrow rifling like the Remington are most effective for fast powerful bullets. They can slow air pellets down? I think a much later development was microgrooves for air rifles. I’m sure some here know more than me on this. I sure like the look of the sharp Remington rifling. I know in cleaning the rifle it twisted my cleaning rod as I ran it through.

Steel barrel

Bronze barrel

Last edited by 45flint; 12-04-2023 at 05:35 PM.

A lovely pair you have there.
    Phosphor bronze is really quite hard, but I do worry about what people might have sent down the barrel. E.g. a steel ball bearing. The rifling looks sharper on the steel barrel?

my 101 has a steel barrel but my 102 is bronze
    i've not shot either at targets to say which i the better to my shame

Interesting I am getting no feedback on the lands of the bronze rifling being so wide. It is such a dramatic difference. I’ve never really looked at different forms of rifling to know what is the norm?

Crosman 101 1920’s barrels; Steel vs. Bronze rifling

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Interesting I am getting no feedback on the lands of the bronze rifling being so wide. It is such a dramatic difference. I’ve never really looked at different forms of rifling to know what is the norm?
    I've looked down a fair few barrels & they are the widest lands i've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I've looked down a fair few barrels & they are the widest lands i've seen.
    Makes you wonder if they knew what they were really doing when they first started making their own barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Makes you wonder if they knew what they were really doing when they first started making their own barrels?
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating. How does the accuracy compare Steve?
    Morally flawed

The Remington made steel barrels follow Harry Popes style of wide shallow grooves and narrow lands commonly used in the firearms industry of the time but the Crosman made look to be equal lands and grooves (not a clear picture) probably by them being broached in bronze. Probably equally suited for good accuracy from an air rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating. How does the accuracy compare Steve?
    The Remington seems more pellet sensitive. It was a little more powerful with Superdomes over Crosman Premiers. The bronze shot both the same. Accuracy seems to be similar with both rifles firing at 20 yards. But I really didn’t do a super fine test of this.

Did another test and the bronze barrel was about perfect with steel close behind. Thus Crosman may have had it right. Steel barrel doesn’t seem as well crowned? May be the difference?

Interestingly, at least I think so, Benjamin brass/bronze? barrels have a similar style of rifling to the Remington steel barrels fitted to early Crosmans and they are very accurate if all else is right.