Thread: What is This BSA Target Sight

What is This BSA Target Sight

I this old 6 hole BSA rear target sight, I don't have a clue what it is off.
    I suspect it is off a standard or Lincoln Jeffries air rifle but I am far from certain this is the case.
    It has the BSA stand of rifles behind the sight cup and a Pat. No. 21332-09 that is as much that I know about it.
    Is it worth anything?
    Photographs on Flickr address below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...77720307726555

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    I this old 6 hole BSA rear target sight, I don't have a clue what it is off.
    I suspect it is off a standard or Lincoln Jeffries air rifle but I am far from certain this is the case.
    It has the BSA stand of rifles behind the sight cup and a Pat. No. 21332-09 that is as much that I know about it.
    Is it worth anything?
    Photographs on Flickr address below.
    for
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...77720307726555
    It's a no.8. Not strictly for an air rifle.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It's a no.8. Not strictly for an air rifle.
    Is it junk then?

Deffo not junk..... plenty fitted to old BSA’s.

You only have to look on fleabay to see how much they go for.... around the £100 mark, .....plus on a good day

There are several heights of vertical adjustments in the no.8 model range . One of them was designed specifically for BSA standsrd air rifles but I can' t remember which one it is. I have seen them sell recently for between £60-£80

For whatever it's worth, here's the relevant page from the 1911 "Colonial and Foreign Edition" of The Book of the BSA Air Rifle:

The no.8 is best fitted to a pre-WW1 BSA with a straight hand stock, although some were factory fitted to the pistol grip stocks with a cutout so it would lay flat for using open sights. As noted, the stem length has to be right. You also have to take care when attaching no.8s to the stock, as the stock bolt runs under the pistol grip, making the wood quite shallow. Brian (AbasMajor) did a good post on how he fitted a no.8 to his BSA ages ago IIRC. They are beautifully made, like all things prewar BSA.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.