Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NS156 or Paladin 390

amanitavirosa Guest

NS156 or Paladin 390

I am new to night vision but appreciate any help to decide on a night vision rifle scope up to £400. I tried the Soviet bazaar reconditioned 4.5 x 52, but there were several problems and it died on me after 15 minutes use. I use a Weirauch HW100S and wonder if the weaver mounts need an adaptor for my air rifle dovetail. I wish to shoot rabbits out to about 45 yds and closer range rats. All help apreciated.

Trevor

Weirauch 100S .177
    Phenix 400 .22
    JSR 3 x 9 x 50

Hi Trevor,
    Welcome to the bbs mate

I have used both the NS156 and and currently the Paladin 390 and for me the paladin is better suited to the ranges that you have specified, it is much heavier than the 156 and I can recommend the venom air cylinder for the HW100 which will shave approx 1lb in weight and help to bring the balance of the rifle closer to the shoulder.

The 156 has a circular ret which many people don't like and benefits from the use of a additional illuminator if your wanting to pick off bunnies at 45 yards.

The Paladin has a standard cross hair ret and a far more powerful illuminator. it will focus down to approx 7 yards so it is ideal for close range ratting

The Paladin is far more expensive than a 156 though!

You will need a weaver to dovetail adaptor rail or Uttings sell a couple of small blocks that do the job perfectly well.

Alan.

Gary C Guest
    Neither will allow you to shoot rabbits to 45 yards humanely.

Come to about 30 yards and you might have a chance

Arrow

I like your user name Trevor-a beautiful if poisonous fungus-the 'destroying angel.'
    Hope that doesn't apply to you!!! Presumably at 6'10" tall you are in demand at Xmas plays as the Archangel Gabriel!!!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

I too have used the NS 156 and Paladin 390. Both provide very good images for Gen I.

I agree with Gary that 45 yards is a bit optimistic for 12ft/lb airgun use. This is because of the limitations on the scopes (at circa x4 mag) and the image clarity. Given your budget I personally would be using a Gen I XVD system with laser illuminator. Even with LED illuminator, these are good to 35-40 yards depending on what the local light pollution is like. Others have used the Gen I XVD with with 'lamps' and IR filters over the light source.

Always, always always, try before you buy. Many people on the board will be happy to show you their gear.
    To be good, one must do good.

amanitavirosa Guest

NS156 or paladin 390

Hi Alan,the Paladin at nightvisioncentre.co.uk is £375 cheapest NS 156 I have found is £365 at nightvisiongear.co.uk, so there is little in it. Ideally, I would like to get a secondhand Paladin. Thanks for the information on the Venom cylinder, I'll look into that.

Hi Gary, I take your point on the 45 yd range, I do all my shooting during the day and am used to 45 yds or more. Down here, we are over run with rabbits. We recently bought 1/5 of an acre of land from our local farmer to use as a play area and extended garden and we had to build a new Cornish hedge. The rabbits that were living this side have all been despatched. The damage to the hedges in the rest of the field is severe and our local farmer has asked me to kill as many as possible. I gave up counting when I got to 80. The last kill was at 93 of my paces during daylight, but I am hoping with night vision that I can creep up closer. Due to a disability, I always shoot from a rest.
    I used to be interested in fungi. Amanitavirosa sounds better than deathcap or as you correctly pointed out destroying angel.
    Hi Aka Gee Dee
    Do you think that the XVD is as good as a the NS156 or Paladin? I think that if I can use my 9x magnfication and if it is lighter, it would be ideal. Perhaps I can pick up a secondhand one now SB have gone digital.

Trevor
    Last edited by amanitavirosa; 22-11-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amanitavirosa
    The last kill was at 93 of my paces during daylight, but I am hoping with night vision that I can creep up closer. Trevor
    93 yards with an airgun?

Do you have very very short legs?

Richard
    Last edited by RichardH; 22-11-2005 at 05:13 PM.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amanitavirosa
    The last kill was at 93 of my paces during daylight,
    Trevor
    hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

sorry mate you got the wrong room

The bull****ters room is next on the right

monkey hanger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Neither will allow you to shoot rabbits to 45 yards humanely.

Come to about 30 yards and you might have a chance
    I presume you are talking about an aries paladin 390 with its own IR illumination? if so fair enough? however I have a 30ftlbs rapid fitted with the 390 using additional illumination via a pro max with IR filter and 45 yards is more than feasable? er and I use a range finder when setting up! as as you probably know 45 yards is a fair old distance?
    cheers MH

The shoots that I have acces to have a fair amount of stray light from surrounding buildings etc and it is possible to shoot rabbits out to 40 yards without problem but I prefer to shoot out to 25 yards whenever possible

Anyone can advertise silly prices for products but do they have the stock to supply? if so then it's a cracking price for the Paladin.

As for shooting at 93 paces with a sub 12ft lb rifle

Alan.

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey hanger
    I presume you are talking about an aries paladin 390 with its own IR illumination? if so fair enough? however I have a 30ftlbs rapid fitted with the 390 using additional illumination via a pro max with IR filter and 45 yards is more than feasable? er and I use a range finder when setting up! as as you probably know 45 yards is a fair old distance?
    cheers MH
    Hi MH

Agreed - FAC and 45 yards is doable np

amanitavirosa Guest

93 yards

Hi, no lies 93 paces.

but it was a daylight shot using the top of our boundary hedge as a rest, with no wind and aimed using the lowest milldot and a .177 bisley magnum pellet.

For long shots like these, my son zeroed my sight at 50yds and I placed a large target out in the farmers field at 100yds and worked out the height needed to hit the target. I don't make a habit of shooting at this range, but there are now no visible rabbits in the first 100yds of the farmers field.

With the night vision sight, I would expect 30 yards to be ample. Unfortunately my SB sight died before it got near the gun, so I haven't had a chance to try out shooting with a NV sight yet.

When I was a 16: I had a pre-war BSA underlever (similar to the recent airgunner review and comparison). That gun had a muzzle velocity of 960 ft per second, which was stamped on the chamber. My brother and I could kill crows at 200 yards. It would blow neat .22 holes through heavy gauge corrigated iron, (extremely illegal by todays standards).

amanitavirosa Guest

Paladin 390

Hi Alan,

this is the link for the Paladin
    http://www.nightvisioncentre.co.uk/p...products_id=44

Hi Alan. And also hi to 'Drifter, 'Saddletramp', 'JBD' and 'JackDawe'. Enjoy your stay...

Mick
    Another Old Git.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermick
    Hi Alan. And also hi to 'Drifter, 'Saddletramp', 'JBD' and 'JackDawe'. Enjoy your stay...

Mick
    Mmmm say no more

Alan.