I have the HW45 and HW75, both excellent guns, however as you say they are expensive and becoming more so. The HW45 takes some mastering, the half-cock power still recoils and the recoil between half and full power requires different techniques. The HW45 takes the same grips as the standard 1911 and I have some nice custom grips from Costa Rica on mine bought on the infamous auction site. The HW45 is a classic and does feel more alive than the HW75, which is more accurate.
The HW40 has been mentioned and is a good option. My wife and I only sold ours because I had the HW75 and my wife had an Alecto. That is also an excellent gun with variable power, operating at about 2.5 ft lbs on the first pump.
I also have a Crosman 1377 MSP. They are good and inexpensive until you realise the options for customisation. On mine I have replaced the plastic furniture with wood and will stop there.
Also in the inexpensive ranges, Gamo have options in the Compact, which was developed as a target pistol primarily for junior shooters but it is comfortable for adults and a good SSP gun. They also have the P900 IGT gas ram, but I haven’t tried that.
I wouldn’t recommend the pistol I started with, the Hatsan Mod 25, it is heavy, high power and high recoil.
Eric