Thread: Which one

Which one

I have limited space in which to shoot safely at home and I would like some advice on which pistol to buy. I fancy an HW45 variation, but a) they are expensive and b) I may not need the full power I am only interested in spring or gas ram (?) type and not CO2. Any advice from experienced shooters welcomed.

Hw40

The HW40 is a nice, lower powered, single stroke pneumatic pistol, not as heavy as the 45 and is recoilless.
    It's got fibre optic sights as well, good for older eyes like mine.
    The price is good too (around £180 new).

There may be a few options with the same style as the HW45 but also worth remembering the 45 can be half cocked to give lower power. Obviously the HW75 is the closest thing but maybe look at a Fas 6004 and also the Sig ASP super target. Another idea may be the Gamo compact or PR45. As I say few to choose from and all with good sights and target capability’s but really if you like the HW45 probably get that as it’s a great pistol.

I have the HW45 and HW75, both excellent guns, however as you say they are expensive and becoming more so. The HW45 takes some mastering, the half-cock power still recoils and the recoil between half and full power requires different techniques. The HW45 takes the same grips as the standard 1911 and I have some nice custom grips from Costa Rica on mine bought on the infamous auction site. The HW45 is a classic and does feel more alive than the HW75, which is more accurate.
    The HW40 has been mentioned and is a good option. My wife and I only sold ours because I had the HW75 and my wife had an Alecto. That is also an excellent gun with variable power, operating at about 2.5 ft lbs on the first pump.
    I also have a Crosman 1377 MSP. They are good and inexpensive until you realise the options for customisation. On mine I have replaced the plastic furniture with wood and will stop there.
    Also in the inexpensive ranges, Gamo have options in the Compact, which was developed as a target pistol primarily for junior shooters but it is comfortable for adults and a good SSP gun. They also have the P900 IGT gas ram, but I haven’t tried that.
    I wouldn’t recommend the pistol I started with, the Hatsan Mod 25, it is heavy, high power and high recoil.
    Eric

If you don't object to SSP, look at the Beeman P17. Cheap , low power accurate and an excellent indoor plinker

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    The HW40 is a nice, lower powered, single stroke pneumatic pistol, not as heavy as the 45 and is recoilless.
    It's got fibre optic sights as well, good for older eyes like mine.
    The price is good too (around £180 new).
    This is the one to go for - they are superb pistols and they are reliable too.

A old "Original" mod 5 is a nice pistol for plinking .