Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First boinger recommendations

First boinger recommendations

Hi all., its been a very very long while!!
    How ya all doing???

Im buying a rifle for my boy to start shooting, id like to get him a simple break barrel which is easy to cock and is a great learning rifle but a rifle which he can keep and could use when he's an adult so something of quality.

what's out there now I've not looked for years!!!

Thanks in advance
    R.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

If I were to buy a nice modern junior rifle for someone who would treasure it I would get a Hw30k and stick a Meopta 4x32 on it.

You don't say how big he is now, but a Weihrauch HW30S (kit with scope) or K would be a good start. I can handle one as well quite happily, and I'm in my mid-forties. The kit variant has an ok basic scope and comes in at about £250. Threaded for a mod too (comes with a muzzle weight). Failing that maybe upgrade the scope/mounts over time. Only complaint I had was mounts weren't tight enough out the box. As its around 7 or 8 ft/lbs, .177 is probably best. Current version has checkering/stippling.
    Last edited by ashf9999; 15-06-2023 at 01:14 AM.

Hey Rhys; how wonderful to hear from you again.

I hope you and the family are all in good fettle.

As above, the HW30S. Lightweight, easy to cock, superb barrel, fantastic Rekord trigger, superb firing manners. Very accurate and easy to access accuracy. And able to "grow with the shooter". Many of us grown ups love them as they're so special and enjoyable. There might be an anti-galling fix to perform, but it's a small price to pay for this otherwise perfect little jewel of a rifle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Wow, nice to here from you mate, it's been a long time.

As others have said, a HW30s, a great rifle for sure.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Hi Rhys
    Glad you are still around
    If it fits him I would look at an HW99. Last him a lifetime
    Pete

Hi mate welcome back

I would say the Cometa 220 as Ive been pleasantly surprised by the quality of these Cometas and a lifetime warranty from the importer, the 100 is a good youth gun set at 6ftlb and is easy to use with super light cocking, the 220 is a better choice if your thinking of adult usage and an adjustable trigger.

Just enjoy whatever you get him, happy days

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

you say he's an adult,nothing wrong with hw 30 or maybe diana/original 27,i'm happy with that size rifle but he'll be big enough to go full size rifle bringing more options.second hand hw35,fwb sport,bsa mercury spring to mind,pardon the pun.

Hi Rhys good to see you back on the forum mate 👍 hope you’re well. As others have said either a hw99 or a hw30. If the the young un is big enough to cock and shoot a 99 I would go for that option as it can be used for hunting if he wants to follow in his dads footsteps as and when he’s able. Also plenty of tuning/stock options to look at as he progresses. Take care mate

Baldy

Hw99s in.177.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Of course if it was me, I would hand down a rifle from the lower end of my collection and then buy myself a .20 Sirocco, Mk1 TX200 in.177 or......
    Pete

Welcome back.

1970s/80s Diana/“Original” 25D/25DS/27/27S.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Long time mate !

yeah, hw30s are nice, but somewhat expensive, and you might rather have full power.

lots of options depending on budget, from the likes of cometa, gamo and hatsan at the budget but still decent end, thru Hw99/hw95 in the midrange.

Or just buy what you want secondhand

Or come to the bash next month and have a play / be inspired...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Get him an HW99 in .22 , get some good guides fitted to a cut down Titan No.10 , it will be so soft even a young lad will cock it no trouble, it's possible to cock with just your little finger, if you wanted less power fit an even softer spring for him to start off with , it could be a gun for life if he gets on with it, in original stock they aren't very heavy anyway , in .22 they have a lovely lazy gentle shot cycle , even at 11 fpe , so if you thought that was too much to start with, use less spring and upgrade as he progresses , you still see the odd bargain in the used section, they did shoot up in price when we all had to say at home while Bungling borris was having parties , but thats another story. .

Welsh Willy is doing some nice soft springs at present, would be ideal in a .22 HW 99s

From safety point of view

Hw57

Which is a capable rifle and a not over heavy

Start your son on open sights
    Hw77+7