Thread: Best way to use a red dot on a pistol?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!

Best way to use a red dot on a pistol?

Yet another boring difficult to use Red Dot came with my first PCP airgun - an Artemis PP700S-A. A pistol kit from good ole Pleasley car boot.

Gun, pump, visibly full tin of top quality Eley Wasp pellets and a red dot. Not toy money price but a modest price and I took a gamble. With anything you buy second-hand, you get a low price but you get the list of faults that come along with it. No complaints on this occasion.

It's a Hawke-badged red dot but no model number on it. Tubular job with eleven (count them) levels of brightness. First job will be to replace the single CR2032 lithium, check it then flog it - either at the Pleasley boot or maybe on here. For me the target acquisition time to place the dot is a pain in the fundament.

Then I noticed that there's no eye relief on a 'scope' which has no magnification.

It doesn't matter how close or far it is from your eye. Focus of the target and the focus on the dot is fine. With iron sights I need my monitor glasses that I'm wearing now to type this.

I can hold the gun in my right hand, bring it right up to my left eye (I'm left eyed) and rest the base of my thumb joint against the left side of my mouth. Then simply support the fore-end with my left hand. I don't need to wear glasses at all.

Good pistol stability is achieved by the mass of my head (no taking the piss please) and no arm's length-worth of wobble. AND totally easy and quick acquisition of the target.

Result !

Is this post a statement of the bleedin' obvious or is it a new idea to other people like me?

Last edited by Antoni; 26-06-2023 at 05:23 PM.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2