Thread: Ideas for rebuilding an EB22?

Ideas for rebuilding an EB22?

So to cut a long story short I lent my mint Benjamin EB22 (in original box) out before first lockdown. Got it back a few weeks back, and although it was working, was covered in rust and box had been chucked out due to water damage. So after a bit of plinking, the CO2 bulb seal gave up. On stip down I found the other seals were well past sell-buy date and the valve stem spring (inside the valve assembly) was deformed and obvioulsy needed replacing. The parts for these seem to be non-existent in the UK (other than the seals), so took a punt on a crosman 2240 valve stem spring. So now I have a working pistol but the power is right down from around 5 ftib to less than 1 ftlb and I notice that the CO2 capsules are only just being pierced with a much smaller hole than before (I tried a 2240 valve stem too, same result). So it's either put in a stronger hammer spring (2240?) or try and find a weaker valve stem spring off the shelf that will work. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by thechemist View Post
    So to cut a long story short I lent my mint Benjamin EB22 (in original box) out before first lockdown. Got it back a few weeks back, and although it was working, was covered in rust and box had been chucked out due to water damage. So after a bit of plinking, the CO2 bulb seal gave up. On stip down I found the other seals were well past sell-buy date and the valve stem spring (inside the valve assembly) was deformed and obvioulsy needed replacing. The parts for these seem to be non-existent in the UK (other than the seals), so took a punt on a crosman 2240 valve stem spring. So now I have a working pistol but the power is right down from around 5 ftib to less than 1 ftlb and I notice that the CO2 capsules are only just being pierced with a much smaller hole than before (I tried a 2240 valve stem too, same result). So it's either put in a stronger hammer spring (2240?) or try and find a weaker valve stem spring off the shelf that will work. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    My friend on this forum had a similar problem with power output. Turned out to be misalignment of transfer port between the valve and barrel. You sometimes have to back off the end of the screw in part of the valve so that it lines up correctly. Backing it off slightly does not cause the O ring to leak, and power goes way up to expected levels.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    My friend on this forum had a similar problem with power output. Turned out to be misalignment of transfer port between the valve and barrel. You sometimes have to back off the end of the screw in part of the valve so that it lines up correctly. Backing it off slightly does not cause the O ring to leak, and power goes way up to expected levels.

Baz
    That's was me!
    I spoke to Lawrie who mentioned it and sure enough the screw hole at the front of the valve that the frame screws into wasn't lined up with the transfer hole at the back.

Once backed off a little and lined up, went from 2 ftlb to 5ftlb!

cheers guys! yes exhaust port was misaligned, power is still a wee bit down (about 4 ftlb) I'm guessing because the valve stem spring (for a 2240) is beefier than the original. Just got to remove the rust off the back end of the bolt and have a go at replating......and the moral of the story is don't lend your stuff out to people who won't look after it!