Thread: New member with a HW80

New member with a HW80

Hi,
    I have just joined the forum so please go easy on me

I have just purchased an HW80 from my neighbour who is 80 and hasn’t the strength to use it any more. It is a heavy gun even at my age of 69! The gun is a Mk1 and according to Weihrauch the serial number of 943381 places it as delivered in 1985. There is no GB stamp, just HW80, made in W Germany, Kal 5.5 The gun shows its age as the stock is a little scratched with some knocks and the metal work blueing a little worn but no rust. The barrel may have been shortened as even with the fitted Webley Pro System silencer the total length is only 38cm.

There were no sights on the gun so I have purchased a new Hawke scope for £65 and agreed a purchase price for the gun of £85. I am pleased with my purchase as the gun, even in my old hands, is giving close groupings at 25yds.

I am wondering if I should refurbish the stock, have the gun serviced and try cold blueing the metal work or just leave well alone as it seems to be working well…… if it ain’t broke etc.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

You may wish to get the gun tested for power - My old HW80 (purchased secondhand in the late 80s) was putting out 15-16 ft lbs when tested. Fortunately I bought it from a gunshop and they got it back under 12 ft lbs.

Hello and welcome. I would say refurbish your stock there have been several threads about what to use and if you are patient and careful you should be able to sand paper many of the scratches out, later use very fine wet & dry.
    Most people don't recommend cold bluing large parts because it is not robust. I would 'feed' the bluing with lots of wipe downs with ordinary oil such as 3 in 1.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    You may wish to get the gun tested for power - My old HW80 (purchased secondhand in the late 80s) was putting out 15-16 ft lbs when tested. Fortunately I bought it from a gunshop and they got it back under 12 ft lbs.
    I will bear this in mind. If anyone with a Chrono live's close to Hurstpierpoint in Sussex please let me know 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    Hello and welcome. I would say refurbish your stock there have been several threads about what to use and if you are patient and careful you should be able to sand paper many of the scratches out, later use very fine wet & dry.
    Most people don't recommend cold bluing large parts because it is not robust. I would 'feed' the bluing with lots of wipe downs with ordinary oil such as 3 in 1.
    Thanks for the reply. Something for me to do over the coming Winter 👍

If it’s not too bad I would be inclined to leave the aesthetics alone and give the internals a service , it might only need a relube as the early seals last a long time if it hasn’t been dieseling .

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    You have a hell of a setup there for £150 all in.

With some modern pellets there isn't much you wont be able the hit with it.
    Master Debater

welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by nking View Post
    I will bear this in mind. If anyone with a Chrono live's close to Hurstpierpoint in Sussex please let me know 😉
    Good morning and welcome to the bbs. If you intend being anywhere near Reigate you would be welcome to visit and use my chrono to test your HW80. If it needs any work to reduce power to legal limit I can do it for you at the same time. No charge-I just love the HW80 and have one about the same vintage as yours although it has had a bit of work done to it in its early life.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    If it’s not too bad I would be inclined to leave the aesthetics alone and give the internals a service , it might only need a relube as the early seals last a long time if it hasn’t been dieseling .
    Thanks for the advice 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    You have a hell of a setup there for £150 all in.

With some modern pellets there isn't much you wont be able the hit with it.
    I'm very happy 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Good morning and welcome to the bbs. If you intend being anywhere near Reigate you would be welcome to visit and use my chrono to test your HW80. If it needs any work to reduce power to legal limit I can do it for you at the same time. No charge-I just love the HW80 and have one about the same vintage as yours although it has had a bit of work done to it in its early life.
    Thanks for your kind offer. I will PM you in advance if I'm going to be in your area

Hi and welcome
    I bought a new HW80 a couple of years ago, it was right at the limit. I had it tuned by Lyn Lewington, shoots sweetly now.
    I have a few springers and PCPs but my favourites to take to the range are my HW80, HW97KT and LGU. All very accurate. By the way, the gun is definitely not a lightweight but I am only 3 years younger than you and think it is definitely worth the effort of carrying it around!
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Hi and welcome
    I bought a new HW80 a couple of years ago, it was right at the limit. I had it tuned by Lyn Lewington, shoots sweetly now.
    I have a few springers and PCPs but my favourites to take to the range are my HW80, HW97KT and LGU. All very accurate. By the way, the gun is definitely not a lightweight but I am only 3 years younger than you and think it is definitely worth the effort of carrying it around!
    Eric
    It's helping the muscle tone in my arms alright 😂