Thread: 1911 loss of power?

Big Mat is offline Formerly Fire Bunnys, and doesn't ask for much!

1911 loss of power?

Hello all,

Bought a 1911 in a job lot with some other bits but having some trouble with it.

Get a hiss of gas when putting new c02 cartridge in, which I don't get on my CP88.

Then it might fire one shot but then it just seems to lack the power to push the pellet out of the mag?

Is this a sign it needs resealing? Is this easy job?

I'm trying to get it working so I can sell it to fund some urgent car repairs.

Thanks
    Mat

Sounds like a damaged or aged seal. It’s an easy and cheap fix, just remove the retaining screw bit and pop the new one in. Best advice is not to leave the capsules in as this compacts the seal and reduces its life and use a bit of Pellgun oil on the capsule ends every now and then.
    Hope this helps, G.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mat View Post
    Hello all,

Bought a 1911 in a job lot with some other bits but having some trouble with it.

Get a hiss of gas when putting new c02 cartridge in, which I don't get on my CP88.

Then it might fire one shot but then it just seems to lack the power to push the pellet out of the mag?

Is this a sign it needs resealing? Is this easy job?

I'm trying to get it working so I can sell it to fund some urgent car repairs.

Thanks
    Mat
    Mat, are you referring to a Umarex 1911 or the Tanfoglio type 1911. As you mentioned the CP88 I guess its the Umarex type ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Mat, are you referring to a Umarex 1911 or the Tanfoglio type 1911. As you mentioned the CP88 I guess its the Umarex type ?

Baz
    Yes it the Unarex 1911 I believe

Yes it the Unarex 1911 I believe
    On these pistols people have a tendency to overtighten the brass B1680 cartridge screw which then causes too much pressure to be put on the Cartridge Lock EC148 which is made of Zinc alloy. This lock tends get a permanent bend causing it to "overcam" when pushing the CO2 cartridge against the seal, so it pushes up and drops back slightly. I have had to straighten quite a few of these using a little heat to get them to hold the capsule neck tight against the seal and not leak CO2. Another cause of loss of power is the soft transfer bar getting distorted by too much use. I remove these completely and make up the striking difference on the hammer by inserting a hard pin in the hammer face.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 06-07-2023 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    On these pistols people have a tendency to overtighten the brass B1680 cartridge screw which then causes too much pressure to be put on the Cartridge Lock EC148 which is made of Zinc alloy. This lock tends get a permanent bend causing it to "overcam" when pushing the CO2 cartridge against the seal, so it pushes up and drops back slightly. I have had to straighten quite a few of these using a little heat to get them to hold the capsule neck tight against the seal and not leak CO2. Another cause of loss of power is the soft transfer bar getting distorted by too much use. I remove these completely and make up the striking difference on the hammer by inserting a hard pin in the hammer face.

Baz
    I had another try with it on the weekend, C02 cartridge went in fine with no hiss, but upon firing, the power fluctuates hugely between shots, one full power, then a couple barley getting pellet out of the barrel, then half power etc, in a random order. i've no idea what it means, C02 is a new area for me.

I had another try with it on the weekend, C02 cartridge went in fine with no hiss, but upon firing, the power fluctuates hugely between shots, one full power, then a couple barley getting pellet out of the barrel, then half power etc, in a random order. i've no idea what it means, C02 is a new area for me.
    Have a look to see if there is a flat piece of metal that moves up between the hammer face and valve pin when the trigger is pulled. This transfer bar gets hammered out of shape and causes problems. On the old pistols I removed them. Not sure if they are in newer pistols. I made up the difference in hammer reach by inserting a hard screw in the hammer face.

Baz