Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing a spring Pistol for 10m target shooting

Help choosing a spring Pistol for 10m target shooting

Hello!

I would like to buy a spring pistol for 10m backyard target shooting.

Since I am a newbie(this is going to be my first gun), I need help picking one. It has to be a spring pistol and my budget is about £100. I prefer accuracy over power.

I have found the following pistols in this price range. Feel free to add your suggestions.

Artemis SP500 4.5mm

Hatsan Mod25 4.5mm

UMAREX RUGER MARK IV 4,5 mm

DIANA P-FIVE 4.5mm

UMAREX Browning Buck Mark URX

UMAREX Browning Buck Mark Magnum

UMAREX RUGER MARK Ι 4.5 mm

BAIKAL IZH 53

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Out of all those, money would be on the izzy. Doubt you'll see many sub £100 though.

Best of luck with the search.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Like Dave said, most have terrible triggers and the Baikal is the best of the bunch
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Like Dave said, most have terrible triggers and the Baikal is the best of the bunch
    My Artemis PP700S-A is a cheap pre-charged job and yes, you do need a block and tackle to pull the trigger. Measured at 6½ pounds-force.

BUT...

One does get used to crappy triggers. Just don't own a better gun at the same time else the living room carpet might receive something unexpected when you use it. Ask me how I know.

[edit]

To answer your question, have you considered a used Webley over-lever? An old Tempest maybe? Reasonable trigger. Or a used BSA Scorpion with a crisp 1½ pounds-force trigger.
    Last edited by Antoni; 12-07-2023 at 03:36 PM.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Thank you for your suggestions.

Ι called a few shops and it seems impossible to find one available right now. So Baikal is not an option anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    My Artemis PP700S-A is a cheap pre-charged job and yes, you do need a block and tackle to pull the trigger. Measured at 6½ pounds-force.

BUT...

One does get used to crappy triggers. Just don't own a better gun at the same time else the living room carpet might receive something unexpected when you use it. Ask me how I know.

[edit]

To answer your question, have you considered a used Webley over-lever? An old Tempest maybe? Reasonable trigger. Or a used BSA Scorpion with a crisp 1½ pounds-force trigger.
    Unfortunately, none of those are available here and I would rather get a brand-new pistol.

Beeman P17

I know you are set on buying new, but there are a few more to consider if you widen your search to include secondhand

Any Diana/Original model 5 or 6
    Weihrauch HW70

Or if you can be tempted away from spring piston to SSP (Single Shot Pneumatic) then either a brand new Beeman P17, or a secondhand Weihrauch HW40 will outperform most, if not all the pistols in your original shortlist
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Edit: seen you only want new

I wouldn’t recommend the Hatsan 25, I had one. Physically very heavy, needed the cocking aid, high recoil. Traded it in for a Baikal 53, which is my wife’s pistol. The Buckmark has a following and can be good, and there is the Gamo P-900.

Eric

The Buckmark can be sorted by a tune up and trigger work, easy to cock and minimal recoil.
    6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy...!

Why is a single pump not a viable option for you?

A Beeman P17, which is a copy of the Hw40, is priced low and gives better performance than all cheap spring pistols.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Out of all those, money would be on the izzy. Doubt you'll see many sub £100 though.

Best of luck with the search.

Dave
    Are you thinking of the 46M? The 53 is still under £100 new if you can find one. I saw another ad a few weeks back at IIRC £95.
    https://solware.co.uk/baikal-izh-53m...al-air-pistols

Though far from a competition pistol, it is good for starters. Going back some years at the end of an evening that I'd just shot 10 cards of 10, a buddy had turned up with a 53 and I managed a score of 85 with it on the first card. Not earth shattering I know, but shooting a 53 consistently can be a good apprenticeship for serious 10m.

I ordered a 53 the next day; £30 from our sponsor!! Still have it; great fun.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    As above, Beeman P17 is in your budget and will outshoot everything on your list. If you miss it will not be the gun.

I have an IZH-53M, not a bad pistol but quite agricultural. Big old lump too.
    The rest are pretty crap. I remember the Buckmark having a very stiff trigger. One of the few pistols I've sold, which considering the number I've retained is not a point in its favour at all.
    Good deals with these members

The IZH 53M is a cheap(ish), moderate weight, break barrel, spring pistol, great for plinking and learning the trade.

The IZH 46M is a heavy, single stroke pneumatic, with a s/h value in the hundreds and is no doubt top class in the right hands.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.