Thread: Feinwerkbau 80 is recoiling

Feinwerkbau 80 is recoiling

I have an FWB80 which was serviced about 5 years ago. I've not shot it for about 3 years and when trying it today the recoilless sledge mechanism doesn't appear to be working and the pistol is recoiling. When working correctly the sledge should recoil/move fully to the rear then if you tilt the pistol downward the sledge should slide forward and lock. This doesn't happen, there is no movement of the sledge at all. Even when it was working it did occasionally stick but it's not working at all now.

Could it just be lack of use? Any suggestions?

Is it lubricated?

Clean and lube sparingly and it will be good to go.

I use FWB Special Gleitfett because that's what's in the case, but most any light oil will do

If it still sticks after cleaning, then you need to check that the recoil rails haven't become misaligned

I could be way off but do these pistols not have a locking mechanism to stop the sled?

If it is not moving at all could this be the case?

Thanks for all the replies. I've been away so sorry for the slow response.

Regarding the locking mechanism, that's only on the FWB65.

Regarding lubrication, do I need to take it apart at all or can it all be done externally? I do have the FWB lubricant so can use that.

Shouldn't be too hard to separate upper from lower and that will give you good access for cleaning.

Been a while since I did it but I used to service the club guns regularly back when I was active and they aren't difficult to work on

Thanks Ryde. I took the bottom casing off (2 screws, 2 allen bolts) which allowed access to the sledge mechanism. The front sledge pins were slightly corroded and had seized the action. Some WD40 and a few taps with a rubber ended chisel got it moving. A scrub with a toothbrush followed by lubrication with FWB grease and about 20 minutes of sliding it back and forward got it completely free before reassembling it.

It was straightforward but this video was also helpful in showing how to strip an FWB 65 (basically the same as the 80) and reassured me I was doing it right. https://youtu.be/eUhXC7IEWY8?t=14

It's now shooting perfectly!

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyb View Post
    Thanks Ryde. I took the bottom casing off (2 screws, 2 allen bolts) which allowed access to the sledge mechanism. The front sledge pins were slightly corroded and had seized the action. Some WD40 and a few taps with a rubber ended chisel got it moving. A scrub with a toothbrush followed by lubrication with FWB grease and about 20 minutes of sliding it back and forward got it completely free before reassembling it.

It was straightforward but this video was also helpful in showing how to strip an FWB 65 (basically the same as the 80) and reassured me I was doing it right. https://youtu.be/eUhXC7IEWY8?t=14

It's now shooting perfectly!
    Great news!