Thread: Black powder Bulldogs, Iver Johnsons etc

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Black powder Bulldogs, Iver Johnsons etc

Dear collecting collective. I am looking at turn of the 19th century revolvers for possibly starting a collection and a little plinking. Most pre 1900 guns are free to own and use here, as long as you only use black powder in your reloads. However, as they need no licence here prices are strong.
    I have looked at buying obsolete calibres from the UK and will continue to do so, but in the meantime I am trawling naturabuy for something suitable.

There are two types that have particularly caught my eye, small .22rf and British Bulldogs.

There is an Iver Johnson 1900 variant 2 in .22lr. It’s very dinky but quite pricey. I would also be a bit hesitant firing powderless through it, but the current owner uses them with no issues.

The other main contender is a very nice condition British Bulldog in 380/38 s&w. I currently reload .38sp and .357, so feel this may be one to go for.

Are there any others I should consider, as the choice is a little overwhelming. Also, anywhere in the UK I can buy obsolete cals as I’m over soon.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I have a few. I'll PM you with an e-mail addy then I can send pics.

Mark.

A little FYI, if you want to sell someone abroad (like me) a registered firearm, it is quite simple. See page 204 of this document

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ember_2022.pdf

Those pistols you are after are all section 7 ticket in GB and bound to be quite rare ( therefore expensive and complicated paperwork) . I don't know any shooters who retained such low quality stuff on ticket so you will struggle to get most centrefires or any .22rf of the types you are after

You might be better looking for pinfires, quite common and reasonably cheap over here , and I believe ammo (or at least, primed cases) are available on the continent.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Those pistols you are after are all section 7 ticket in GB and bound to be quite rare ( therefore expensive and complicated paperwork) . I don't know any shooters who retained such low quality stuff on ticket so you will struggle to get most centrefires or any .22rf of the types you are after

You might be better looking for pinfires, quite common and reasonably cheap over here , and I believe ammo (or at least, primed cases) are available on the continent.

Thankyou, I did have a little success.

I got a Belgian .38s&w British bulldog. Lovely condition cosmetically, but not to be trusted! I have sleeved this to .177 and it fires airgun pellets using just the primer. Lots of fun whatever the weather!

Next was a Velodog .22 cf revolver, very small but packs quite a punch with bullets reloaded with the H&C kit.

Pick of the bunch is a 1933 (?) Webley Mk3, again in .38s&w, but this one is proofed for smokeless and is a fine shooter.

Lastly, I picked up an H&R Young America Bulldog in .32rf. Proofed for smokeless and, again, using the H&C reloading kit, it is now also a fine little pistol for garden carry. My neighbour and I have just been playing with it in his garden. He is keen to try it on the rats in his chicken run, I pointed out the lack of sights might inhibit it’s effectiveness on small, fast moving quarry!

None of these compare on paper to my more modern pistols, but with the difference in style, size and historical interest they are streets ahead.