Thread: home made lubed wads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

home made lubed wads

just made some up with formula of paraffin wax / beeswax and butchers dripping which they say is tallow and a capful of neatsfoot oil
    didnt contaminate powder and i ran a patch through barrel after 6 shots with 25gns of swiss and it was really clean , hardly marked to be truthful

What are you using for the wads? I can never find the right felt.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    What are you using for the wads? I can never find the right felt.
    i just nought some 5mm 100% wool felt of the bay just to try out first......i tried it the other week with felt from old hats and that worked too so i dabbled and bought from the bay.....i mixed it 2/1/1 and a capful of neats foot oil.....i always lube over the cylinders too and that stays put under recoil.
    the hammer and underneath the top strap was black but the barrel was spotless

I use these 7" hard felt discs 7mm thick from aliexpress , Just had 8 of them for £14 including shipping and got to me in 8 days.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...21ef1802WO7ey9

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    I use these 7" hard felt discs 7mm thick from aliexpress , Just had 8 of them for £14 including shipping and got to me in 8 days.
    Another tip is to buy those round make up removing pads from tesco …. Or super drug etc just make sure they are 100 % wool .
    Place one on top on the other and cover in lube , when dry just punch them out

I tried to make some but despite having 2 different sets of punches had real difficulty in cutting them out. Anyone recommend a suitable punch???

Thank you - yes they do make very good wads

Steve.

Wads or not?

Back to basics!

Wads in a black powder revolver or ball straight on powder?

I've read recently that wads are not so good for accuracy and the very limited testing that I've just done seems to suggest that there may be something in that.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Steve.

just ordered some to try

Hi Loiner , I also have just received some 25mm thick pads from aliexpress to use on my Pedersoli percussion 12 bore , Trying to get 12 bore cushion wads past the choke is nigh-on impossible but hard felt wads cut to .720" fit perfectly as they are slightly flexible and when cut in half to 12mm are ideal.
    If you are going to use in a drill press I can make you an cutter .45 or .36 to use in the drill if required.