Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home made lubed wads

home made lubed wads

just made some up with formula of paraffin wax / beeswax and butchers dripping which they say is tallow and a capful of neatsfoot oil
    didnt contaminate powder and i ran a patch through barrel after 6 shots with 25gns of swiss and it was really clean , hardly marked to be truthful

What are you using for the wads? I can never find the right felt.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    What are you using for the wads? I can never find the right felt.
    i just nought some 5mm 100% wool felt of the bay just to try out first......i tried it the other week with felt from old hats and that worked too so i dabbled and bought from the bay.....i mixed it 2/1/1 and a capful of neats foot oil.....i always lube over the cylinders too and that stays put under recoil.
    the hammer and underneath the top strap was black but the barrel was spotless

I use these 7" hard felt discs 7mm thick from aliexpress , Just had 8 of them for £14 including shipping and got to me in 8 days.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...21ef1802WO7ey9

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    I use these 7" hard felt discs 7mm thick from aliexpress , Just had 8 of them for £14 including shipping and got to me in 8 days.
    Another tip is to buy those round make up removing pads from tesco …. Or super drug etc just make sure they are 100 % wool .
    Place one on top on the other and cover in lube , when dry just punch them out

I tried to make some but despite having 2 different sets of punches had real difficulty in cutting them out. Anyone recommend a suitable punch???

What are you putting under the felt to punch them out , I use either a slab of lead or a block of wood using the endgrain as the punching surface if I am not using the bench drill to cut them out.

I was using a block of wood but not the endgrain, I'll try that later.

Hadn't thought about a bench drill, will also give that a go.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    I tried to make some but despite having 2 different sets of punches had real difficulty in cutting them out. Anyone recommend a suitable punch???
    I use a plastic chopping board under the felt and place the board on the concrete floor of my garage , make sure your punch is sharp and not burred over. I got a good quality punch from Henry Kranks (made in England) it was a bit more expensive than some places online but, “ Buy cheap, by twice”.
    "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours"

This is what I use. I made it years ago for bearing removal/setting. The buttons are just sharpened bits of tube or metal scraps turned to size. I cut into one pound lee lead ingots. It goes through pretty much anything with three tons of pressure.

I'm sure one of the forum grown ups will be on soon telling me I'm doing it backwards/upside down or it's massively dangerous but it does work very well.

https://i.postimg.cc/xjPNg433/DSC-1055.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/9Xp0hwSd/DSC-1056.jpg
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Thank you - yes they do make very good wads

Steve.

Wads or not?

Back to basics!

Wads in a black powder revolver or ball straight on powder?

I've read recently that wads are not so good for accuracy and the very limited testing that I've just done seems to suggest that there may be something in that.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Back to basics!

Wads in a black powder revolver or ball straight on powder?

I've read recently that wads are not so good for accuracy and the very limited testing that I've just done seems to suggest that there may be something in that.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Steve.
    Check out a chap on YouTube called old ranger y
    He uses just powder / cow / bullet and lube on top with superb results
    Tested wads instead of cow and first cylinder was not as good but second cylinder was superb lol
    He did a part 2 and found shooting with wad over powder gave around 2 inch group … but good for fouling
    Tried it with wad over ball and similar results but no good on fouling
    With just lube on ball gave a big 1 inch hole so he reckons without wads was better for him but others say different .
    I am using wads under ball and lube on top and notice no difference in accuracy but I am not in his leauge
    Last edited by loiner1965; 26-08-2023 at 12:35 PM.

If you look at these american tube videos what you do not see is they are at 10ft , Try this at 25 mts and 1" group's turn into 6" and 2" into 10" , Been on ranges in California , north Dakota ,south Dakota and in New Mexico and have seen them shoot a hand gun from a sandbagged mount ,butt on 1 and barrel on another and proclaim superb accuracy with no relation to the real world , There is no relevance to real target shooting.

If you look at these american tube videos what you do not see is they are at 10ft , Try this at 25 mts and 1" group's turn into 6" and 2" into 10" , Been on ranges in California , north Dakota ,south Dakota and in New Mexico and have seen them shoot a hand gun from a sandbagged mount ,butt on 1 and barrel on another and proclaim superb accuracy with no relation to the real world , There is no relevance to real target shooting.
    Agree most do but the a chap above called old ranger shoots at 21 yds as you can see his range and it’s stamped on the target