Thread: home made lubed wads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Back to basics!

Wads in a black powder revolver or ball straight on powder?

I've read recently that wads are not so good for accuracy and the very limited testing that I've just done seems to suggest that there may be something in that.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Steve.
    Check out a chap on YouTube called old ranger y
    He uses just powder / cow / bullet and lube on top with superb results
    Tested wads instead of cow and first cylinder was not as good but second cylinder was superb lol
    He did a part 2 and found shooting with wad over powder gave around 2 inch group … but good for fouling
    Tried it with wad over ball and similar results but no good on fouling
    With just lube on ball gave a big 1 inch hole so he reckons without wads was better for him but others say different .
    I am using wads under ball and lube on top and notice no difference in accuracy but I am not in his leauge
    Last edited by loiner1965; 26-08-2023 at 12:35 PM.

If you look at these american tube videos what you do not see is they are at 10ft , Try this at 25 mts and 1" group's turn into 6" and 2" into 10" , Been on ranges in California , north Dakota ,south Dakota and in New Mexico and have seen them shoot a hand gun from a sandbagged mount ,butt on 1 and barrel on another and proclaim superb accuracy with no relation to the real world , There is no relevance to real target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    If you look at these american tube videos what you do not see is they are at 10ft , Try this at 25 mts and 1" group's turn into 6" and 2" into 10" , Been on ranges in California , north Dakota ,south Dakota and in New Mexico and have seen them shoot a hand gun from a sandbagged mount ,butt on 1 and barrel on another and proclaim superb accuracy with no relation to the real world , There is no relevance to real target shooting.
    Agree most do but the a chap above called old ranger shoots at 21 yds as you can see his range and it’s stamped on the target

This is the felt I use 1/8” hard wool felt 0.36 gm/c3 - Hard F-1

Been buying from this Company for years.

I use a punch set up in a drill press and punch onto an old kitchen cutting board
    I can punch thousands at a time ��

http://www.durofelt.com/

http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html
    Last edited by harricook; 24-10-2023 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    Check out a chap on YouTube called old ranger y
    He uses just powder / cow / bullet and lube on top with superb results
    Tested wads instead of cow and first cylinder was not as good but second cylinder was superb lol
    He did a part 2 and found shooting with wad over powder gave around 2 inch group … but good for fouling
    Tried it with wad over ball and similar results but no good on fouling
    With just lube on ball gave a big 1 inch hole so he reckons without wads was better for him but others say different .
    I am using wads under ball and lube on top and notice no difference in accuracy but I am not in his leauge
    Strangely enough, I've just been talking to Old Ranger about this subject!

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Strangely enough, I've just been talking to Old Ranger about this subject!
    interested in his findings