Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45 Mini Carbine Ideas? Shoulder Stock - Longer Barrel etc

HW45 Mini Carbine Ideas? Shoulder Stock - Longer Barrel etc

Following on from a recent Buccaneer/Shadow/Trooper thread where I’m wanting to scratch the ultra small mini Carbine type setup low and behold I’ve bagged another HW45 instead for my sins

I’m no stranger to the HW45 having owned a fair few as they are still one of my favourite pistols

Luckily my latest purchase which came via a very good mate has had some internal goodies already done namely Aussie seal and TBT full kit so that saves me a job and my sanity yeah been there before with that monster preload

So my plan is using this 45 to make some sort of mini Carbine for my fun backyard garage range plinker.

I’ve got two routes to discover firstly I’ve never tried the shoulder stock route on any previous 45 and I’m after some experiences and advice on what’s out there? Even better if you can show pics? I know there was the original type shoulder stock but are there any other alternatives? Obviously 3d printing has boomed since those days and I see plenty of 3d stocks made for other pistols etc is this a viable route?

Secondly if I go the shoulder stock route and I like it, I’m thinking I would probably want to fit a longer barrel and add some front end weight with a silencer/brake etc from memory I remember the barrel being around 10mm diameter so a barrel should be fairly easy to sort?

With a shoulder stock fitted I probably wouldn’t need to go front iron sight riser as I’d probably fit a reflex or red dot or possibly even a small scope for the sights option.

Just after some ideas chaps as I’m sure many of you have done this road yonks ago and already muttered meh….but as my user tagline suggests I’m always late to the party

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    You are mad. Simply mad!

That aside, if you want to try my shoulderstock at the next bash in September, just ask. I can easily bring it.

On half power it is very low recoil and rather good on the bell target.

Other than that, get an Anne Summers catalogue and strap a few bits on
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    You are mad. Simply mad!

That aside, if you want to try my shoulderstock at the next bash in September, just ask. I can easily bring it.

On half power it is very low recoil and rather good on the bell target.

Other than that, get an Anne Summers catalogue and strap a few bits on
    Hahaha made me laugh

I’ll let you know about the bash Tinners and really appreciate that 👍🏻

Out of interest is yours setup with the irons with the shoulder stock if so I’m assuming you have the front sight riser?

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post

Out of interest is yours setup with the irons with the shoulder stock if so I’m assuming you have the front sight riser?

Yes, and yes
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Yes, and yes
    Thanks and thanks

I've done a few over the years, including with the original shoulder stock and front sight riser.
    I've also put red dots and scopes on and silencers.
    The result was always disappointing and I ended up converting them back to pistols.
    Have a go and see what you think, but I advise not doing anything you can't undo....

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    I've done a few over the years, including with the original shoulder stock and front sight riser.
    I've also put red dots and scopes on and silencers.
    The result was always disappointing and I ended up converting them back to pistols.
    Have a go and see what you think, but I advise not doing anything you can't undo....
    Thanks for the reply Bob

That’s a shame it didn’t work out for you, anything specifically you was disappointed with?

As my 45 is a quite tidy golden oldie (late 80’s) I certainly wouldn’t want to make any modifications irreversible.

I think my main thoughts are to try it with a shoulder stock first but finding one is already becoming a headache 😬

I am still enjoying the one you sold to me at the end of 2021.

The carbine thing is something I keep mulling over, I picked up an adapter plate/bracket a while ago that is fitted under one of the grips, it is about 3mm thick so presumably will need longer screws, still need to decide how to make use of of it. It is a copy of the bracket that can be seen in this thread:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....eihrauch-hw45/

I also have a pair of the Eagle Vision Vision 13mm to Weaver adapters and a 1911 trigger guard clamp-on Weaver adapter. Don't know if or how I will use any of them though - yet!

Maybe all the adapters for conversion is sending me a message that it is a PISTOL!

The thing about the longer barrel may be an issue because of the size of the hole at the muzzle end of the top/slide being quite small, around 8mm I think, unless you are prepared to make a permanent change by drilling it out so you don't end up with a weedy 'straw' sticking out of the front...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I am still enjoying the one you sold to me at the end of 2021.

The carbine thing is something I keep mulling over, I picked up an adapter plate/bracket a while ago that is fitted under one of the grips, it is about 3mm thick so presumably will need longer screws, still need to decide how to make use of of it. It is a copy of the bracket that can be seen in this thread:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....eihrauch-hw45/

I also have a pair of the Eagle Vision Vision 13mm to Weaver adapters and a 1911 trigger guard clamp-on Weaver adapter. Don't know if or how I will use any of them though - yet!

Maybe all the adapters for conversion is sending me a message that it is a PISTOL!

The thing about the longer barrel may be an issue because of the size of the hole at the muzzle end of the top/slide being quite small, around 8mm I think, unless you are prepared to make a permanent change by drilling it out so you don't end up with a weedy 'straw' sticking out of the front...
    Crikey where does the time go eh?

I vaguely remember that one from end of 2021 was that the one I got a brand spanking new barrel for it from Solware? Think you also bought some tasty grips for it a few weeks after glad you are still enjoying it Mark

Must confess I haven’t had as much fun for ages in my garage range with my latest 45 as they just seem perfect for what I need and it’s such a joy to shoot especially being fettled

I’d still like to try the 45 with a shoulder stock or aim brace type setup one day exactly as you mentioned and linked but I’m possibly more convinced that I really need that Buccaneer for those thrills maybe it’s best to just leave the 45 as it is.

meh it’s a damn good excuse to add another to the arsenal instead eh

I seem to be going back down the pistol route again and boy I’ve had some nice pistols over the years but also there’s many other pistols I’ve yet to experience which has the old cogs churning.

Regards the barrel yeah point noted and I certainly wouldn’t want to modify the old girl permanently so if it ever went longer barrel I’m sure I’d come up with something aesthetically pleasing to slip over and beef up any weediness

You are right about those nice grips, they do set it off nicely, a bit more in proportion IMHO.

I have also fitted an Aussie seal and some Delrin TbT 'style' guides, polished the spring ends, re-lubed etc. With the 0.177 barrel I am getting around 5.3 ftlbs, but in the last few days have picked up a 0.22 barrel which is running at 5.7 ftlbs with 12.81gr H&N Excite plinking pellets. Not had an opportunity to try it for accuracy at any distance yet, but it is never going to be a target pistol!

Thanks to your efforts at getting the stupid Weihrauch M3 barrel screws out I can easily swap calibres, so much as I like it, I don't think I need to keep my Original 0.22 5G now. It is more nicely made than the HW45, but is bigger and less versatile, and the 45 is almost as powerful on half-cock. If only the POI was the same for both power settings, I would probably make more use of the feature...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    You are right about those nice grips, they do set it off nicely, a bit more in proportion IMHO.

I have also fitted an Aussie seal and some Delrin TbT 'style' guides, polished the spring ends, re-lubed etc. With the 0.177 barrel I am getting around 5.3 ftlbs, but in the last few days have picked up a 0.22 barrel which is running at 5.7 ftlbs with 12.81gr H&N Excite plinking pellets. Not had an opportunity to try it for accuracy at any distance yet, but it is never going to be a target pistol!

Thanks to your efforts at getting the stupid Weihrauch M3 barrel screws out I can easily swap calibres, so much as I like it, I don't think I need to keep my Original 0.22 5G now. It is more nicely made than the HW45, but is bigger and less versatile, and the 45 is almost as powerful on half-cock. If only the POI was the same for both power settings, I would probably make more use of the feature...
    Great stuff Mark

Yes those M3 Barrel screws as you know can be a reet PITA I’ve still got a bag full of replacement screws if you ever need any.

My 45 is in .20 calibre which hand on heart hasn’t always been my first choice be that in rifle or pistol format but I’ve owned a fair few confused ‘middle for diddles’ over the years with various findings.

I was planning to probably convert it back to .177 (original guise) at some stage but I’m actually finding it shoots rather quite sweetly in .20 circa 4.7FPE with 13.73grain Exact Diablo same as you mention on yours probably not really a target pistol per se but it’s certainly fun for plinking

This thread has reminded me I have a HW45 with the original walnut stock and wider foresight somewhere. I'll need to dig it out one of these days as I've not shot it in years. From memory, the barrel was threaded for a silencer and it was difficult to focus on the rearsight when using the stock. Probably why it has not been used!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    This thread has reminded me I have a HW45 with the original walnut stock and wider foresight somewhere. I'll need to dig it out one of these days as I've not shot it in years. From memory, the barrel was threaded for a silencer and it was difficult to focus on the rearsight when using the stock. Probably why it has not been used!

John
    That’s a shame John

Yes be interested to here your thoughts if you do decide to dig it back out again for another whirl

Sold my HW45 conversion a while ago but gives you an idea of what it looked like with the 18" barrel.. Col.
    https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...highlight=hw45

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Sold my HW45 conversion a while ago but gives you an idea of what it looked like with the 18" barrel.. Col.
    https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...highlight=hw45
    Cheers Col,

Just had a look at your sales link.

I like that very interesting

Do you have any pics of the 18” DM barrel fitted and all built up?