Thread: Original 66 value ?

Original 66 value ?

Original 66
    condition stock has indent on cheek area a very dry/ mat finish no chips , air tube bluing good , barrel weight wear , rear sight is a olive green but doesn't look like the original but works fine.
    It shoots lovely great trigger and no recoil .
    I'm asking for a friend in his 80s losing his sight but he lives 40 miles from me I should have taken some photos when I visited him.
    So I'm after a value thanks

Photos

Yep
    Photos are useful
    Think I'm going to have to learn how to load them on here
    Think I'll try Imgur as someone suggested on general today
    I've got a Mod.66 in a gun cupboard and its not been out for many years
    There's a Mod.10 in there as well as a brand new FWB 300 I believe
    Going to have to check
    Value of a 66 I guess would start at £150 up to maybe £300
    costalot

I saw auction sold prices £100 @ Hartley's that was 2018 so it's about £150 now thanks

A big deal with those Diana Giss-system double-piston guns is of course the condition of the seals. That one sounds to be in good shooting condition, which adds a lot of value compared to one that needs a rebuild.

The 66 was typically furnished with the older Diopter 60 rear sight. The matte green finish is correct for late examples of this unit, where older ones were a glossier black or charcoal gray. This coordinates with the heavy barrel sleeve on the gun, which has a similar matte phosphated finish.

For what it's worth...here in the US a good-condition 66 with working seals and original barrel sleeve and sights would easily be a $450 rifle; more if in exceptional condition or having well-figured wood.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 13-08-2023 at 09:14 PM.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    The seals are the easy bit, But if any trigger unit bits break you are in trouble as they are unobtainium. I sold a 75 on here last year, lovely condition except someone had got at it & broken two trigger parts. Could not get them in the uk at all.

Thank you all for the useful information I will let my friend know.

Good few about because they were popular at the time. They were the entry level target rifle in the day, and well able to shoot better than most shooters. I do believe I won some under 15's?? postal competition with one. (I suspect there weren't that many entries for it, as I was never that good an air rifle 6m shot.)

Anyhow, if working still a fine rifle.

Scottish legislation has flooded the market for such rifles as a whole lot of Scots can't be arsed to get a rifle license. But enough of them did vote for the muppets who brought in the legislation. Yes, I am having a dig.
    From a trickle, the momentum is gaining traction as many realise the danger of having that "not often used' old air rifle without a license just isn't worth the risk. Policing hasn't been draconian, but it might soon be. Anyhow, I hear gun shops are seeing more and more air rifles being brought in. Value? Half what they were a few years back. Most aren't going to be that exciting, but still they weren't doing any harm and plenty good enough for some plinking fun. Many will be worthless, and good ones just enough to warrant the effort to store until a new home found. I can't find a good thing to say about it all.

Value, if some one offers £100 take it. As a rifle sure its worth more, but the market says no. (Happy to be proved wrong.)