Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marmite finish

Marmite finish

To those who balked at the Dan Dare 600, it is now back to normality. I quite liked it, but as I am going to be left with only one, I thought it should be back to standard. One thing it had in its favour, feeds a variety of pellets, only had Air Arms Diablo Field refused so far.

Baz
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Those wood grips are nice. Bought or home made ?
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

Quote Originally Posted by LewesNick View Post
    Those wood grips are nice. Bought or home made ?
    Nick, bought, I could not make them that nice. Have the plastic grips, will have to see if cozzamec can paint them similar to the original Crosman mottled colour. Unless anyone has some to sell ?

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Nick, bought, I could not make them that nice. Have the plastic grips, will have to see if cozzamec can paint them similar to the original Crosman mottled colour. Unless anyone has some to sell ?

Baz
    Where did you buy the wood grips baz? Chris

Baz, it's a bit of a faff but if you are into fiddling/ experimenting & general mucking about molds made from a 2 component silicone could be the way to go, then cast in a 2 component polyurethane system, split the mix, & colour one part with the base colour, the other with the colour of the marbling. Then there is a choice between adding one to the other & giving it a short swirl with a cocktail stick ( too much swirling will just bent the colours) & pour into the mold. T'other way is to trail the marble effect in the mold first in the pattern you want to create then pour in the base colour on top. There's variations on this but in essence that's it. Gentle but thorough mixing can help reduce the chance of air inclusions unless you can degas it in a vacuum chamber. A slow cure system, 30 minute pot life of a 100g will take the need for speed out of the equation too. Happy to go through a bit more detail in a pm if you wish, but it's fiddly process if your hearts not in it!

Would have loved to know how well a tricked up finished production model wild have sold if they were offered at the time as the standard back one. That one of yours really captured the whole spirit of the time. Well I think so.
    Last edited by trajectory; 12-08-2023 at 05:16 PM. Reason: eally corrected to really

Should have kept it 'Dan Dare' - I think it looked great.

Imagine if Crosman introduced that 600 model today.

It would knock any other plinker out the park

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Where did you buy the wood grips baz? Chris
    Chris, I got them from cozzamec on here who actually produced the custom 600 originally.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Should have kept it 'Dan Dare' - I think it looked great.

Imagine if Crosman introduced that 600 model today.

It would knock any other plinker out the park
    Mark, very easy to produce the silver finish by bead blasting the 600.

Baz

Liked the Dan Dare finish Baz, nice to see a different approach to things.

I refurbed a couple or three of these years gone by and found a high temperature heat resistant paint used on custom exhausts in the motor trade gave an exceptable thin coat finish that was relatively hard wearing, going back 20 years or so I had a contact who was a cabinet maker of old with fantastic skills making grips for a lot of my Crosman pistols and that were brought back to life, alas unlike the Crosmans he is no longer with us and I never found anyone else that could do what he could, good to see and hear there are still guys out there that can turn thier hand to doing so.

If I can figure out how topost pictures here I'll see if I can find some

I remember it needed a good service when I got that one both internal and external, new seals, cleaned all the sears, etc, think I got Lawrie to do the stem valve seal, lubed only what was needed like cam ring etc, shoots very well and not particularly pellet fussy.
    The outside was also bad condition, so as Baz said, glass bead blasted (balls not cut glass) had to do a few runs to get an even finish and proper wash and clean after, grips were Atlantic sparkle blue.

Wood grips I had made for one of my other 600's but recently got a nice set of red laminate for it

Andy, Airgunner 177 on here makes a range of grips for various pistols.
    I had to send him a 600 as a pattern for some excellent Walnut grips, the end result being well worth while.
    I chose a dark Walnut finish, but the lighter Walnut is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Andy, Airgunner 177 on here makes a range of grips for various pistols.
    I had to send him a 600 as a pattern for some excellent Walnut grips, the end result being well worth while.
    I chose a dark Walnut finish, but the lighter Walnut is just as good.

That's who did the wood grips for mine

Another finish option

gingernuts nickel 600

[IMG][/IMG]

how are you guys posting images on here, how can I do same to share, can I copy images direct from my PC or do they need to be stored somewhere else beforehand and a link and link inserted between the two [IMG] whatsits?

you might have gathered I'm not completely pc literate at this end of the keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    how are you guys posting images on here, how can I do same to share, can I copy images direct from my PC or do they need to be stored somewhere else beforehand and a link and link inserted between the two [IMG] whatsits?

you might have gathered I'm not completely pc literate at this end of the keyboard
    I use imgur but you can also use postimage......

https://postimages.org/

https://imgur.com/