Thread: For Sale - Webley Service - Boxed - 0.25 .

For Sale - Webley Service - Boxed - 0.25 .

Webley Service with a 0.25 barrel and a 0.22 barrel

I bought this gun over 15 years ago. As its boxed its sat in a cupboard being occasionally oiled for the time I have had it.
    I had forgotten the question mark over the originality of the 0.25 barrel.
    The 0.22 barrel is original and has no serial number.
    Re: the 0.25 barrel - You can see what I see - its your decision.

I have photographed both barrels against each other showing the Calibre stamping and the barrel keyways.
    Both foresights are identical.

The action is original finish . The barrel pivot pin may have been replaced a long time ago.
    It is stamped on the trigger guard S9831.
    The 0.25 barrel is also stamped S9831.
    The 0.22 barrel has no Serial No.

The box is pretty good for a Service box. The Four corners have been re-enforced / repaired .
    It could probably be repaired better than is now.
    However it is a Service box.

Please study the photographs as they will help your decision a lot.

This item is Collection Only from Chester
    I will be at Birmingham in September if that helps at all.

Price : £1550.00 as above.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/DfNdCXb

I have decided to withdraw this item from sale. - 27 August 2023
    Last edited by Sam99; 27-08-2023 at 12:05 PM.

Hi Sam
    For what it is worth, I reckon that is a genuine .25 Webley Service barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Hi Sam
    For what it is worth, I reckon that is a genuine .25 Webley Service barrel.
    Yep me too.

Me three.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

The .22 barrel is a good example of a genuine Webley barrel of the period as supplied as an aftermarket spare. These were supplied by Webley without being numbered .
    The .25 barrel is a genuine Webley one, originally supplied with a gun that carried no. 674 as the last 3 digits of it's serial number.

In all it's a good example of a genuine assembled set , as good as most people are likely to meet nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    The .22 barrel is a good example of a genuine Webley barrel of the period as supplied as an aftermarket spare. These were supplied by Webley without being numbered .
    The .25 barrel is a genuine Webley one, originally supplied with a gun that carried no. 674 as the last 3 digits of it's serial number.

In all it's a good example of a genuine assembled set , as good as most people are likely to meet nowadays
    I would suggest the 674 is a batch or assembly number. It can usually be found on the rifle's main components as well as the barrel. For example, I have a matching serial numbered Service and barrel numbered in the 13000s that also share an additional 'assembly' number.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I would suggest the 674 is a batch or assembly number. It can usually be found on the rifle's main components as well as the barrel. For example, I have a matching serial numbered Service and barrel numbered in the 13000s that also share an additional 'assembly' number.

John
    Far be it from me to disagree with an expert but every matched Webley service that I have ever examined in over 50 years carries the last digits of the trigger guard number stamped on major parts and in a linear format on the barrel just rearwards of the register bar I have 7 atm all like that. I agree this is a form of batch or assembly number but in a genuine gun , all the numbers match. I believe the numbers relate to the assembly of the gun and not to the production of a batch of parts.
    The numbers found stamped on the register are an attempt to match up the units and most have been stamped in modern times as they are in a font popular since the early 1960s and different to the font generally used pre war .

Thank You to all who commented on the authenticity of my 0.25 Barrel.

Regards

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Far be it from me to disagree with an expert but every matched Webley service that I have ever examined in over 50 years carries the last digits of the trigger guard number stamped on major parts and in a linear format on the barrel just rearwards of the register bar I have 7 atm all like that. I agree this is a form of batch or assembly number but in a genuine gun , all the numbers match. I believe the numbers relate to the assembly of the gun and not to the production of a batch of parts.
    The numbers found stamped on the register are an attempt to match up the units and most have been stamped in modern times as they are in a font popular since the early 1960s and different to the font generally used pre war .
    The Assembly/batch number, as well as the serial number should match on a genuine set. No idea why Webley used 2 sets of numbers on some rifles?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.