Thread: A Pm suggestion

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

A Pm suggestion

I had a pm from a nice chap today, suggesting that maybe I should start a "Chat group" about some of the things I have done, various fixes (bodges!) I have done on some guns and also some sort of diary about it. I have responded to it along the lines that.

Some of my musings/ findings are up in with "The Idiots guide"
    Other musings / tinkering tend to go up on the "Other forum" (and some got lost when version one got lost in the ether)
    A few of the things are up on Danny's site (from memory, a Tell 2 stripped down, Relum pistols and trigger tuning for Tempests and Milbro Cougar)
    Very few people are interested in that side of old guns.

I do help people out by phone call now and again, but if people want to try to do things by Pm it can take days to run through something simple.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

I’ve found your stuff on ‘idiots guide’ extremely useful for servicing loads of my vintage airguns.
    Never a need for a P.M

Thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I had a pm from a nice chap today, suggesting that maybe I should start a "Chat group" about some of the things I have done, various fixes (bodges!) I have done on some guns and also some sort of diary about it. I have responded to it along the lines that.

Some of my musings/ findings are up in with "The Idiots guide"
    Other musings / tinkering tend to go up on the "Other forum" (and some got lost when version one got lost in the ether)
    A few of the things are up on Danny's site (from memory, a Tell 2 stripped down, Relum pistols and trigger tuning for Tempests and Milbro Cougar)

I do help people out by phone call now and again, but if people want to try to do things by Pm it can take days to run through something simple.
    My go to guide very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post

Not at all. For instance Knibbs, TWC, B&K, and Protek seem to make some sort of go selling spare parts. I collect old guns and I like them to be in good shootable order. I used to send them away to be serviced. Since the summer of lockdown, I now try to tackle the more straightforward ones myself.

I have no engineering skills or more than basic tools and equipment and I am another who always has a look in the Idiot's Guide whenever I need to take one of my older guns to bits, even though, with a bit more experience, I'm starting to have the confidence to work it out for myself if I come across the odd one you haven't covered. I'm sure I'm not alone. The thing is that you have no way of knowing how often it is referred to so rather more people may be interested and using it than you think. Rather than contribute to the bloating of the Idiot's Guide thread by adding my thanks there, can I belatedly state here that I think it's an invaluable resource, please keep the guides coming/updated, and thank you for your generosity of time in doing it.

Of course, it isn't my only resource. I also try to search the bbs for posts about a particular rifle (though that can be tricky if the search terms are too long, too short, or too common) and may check youtube, although all too often the offerings there are excruciatingly meandering and tedious. When will these people learn to edit their stuff? Or they may skip the particular step I need help on, or not show it in enough detail. I may also check Q. Cobham's book. I may also look at the Vintage Airgun Gallery to see what something should look like. But the Idiot's Guide is a great starting point.

Perhaps the idea of somewhere where various threads can be brought together has something going for it though. Danny does it very well on his Pre-war BSA thread in the vintage airgun gallery, where various useful tips are brought together in curated form. I tend to bookmark useful articles and threads in a database app on my iPad so that I can find them again if I need to.