Thread: Diana G80 - Leather Seal Rejuvination

Diana G80 - Leather Seal Rejuvination

Good afternoon Learned Throng.

I'm re-commissioning a G80 for friend. It was originally supplied by Airgunaid, probably in the late '70's early '80's. BTW there are 3 numbers stamped into the U/S of the stock, just in front of the Trigger Guard which look like 791

I suspect it's probably never had more than a handful of pellet's thru it by its excellent condition and still in it original box.

I've stripped it, and as I suspected. the Piston washer is 'rather' Dry, albeit in excellent condition.

I've suspended the piston via the latch rod, from the chuck in my pillar drill and lowered the leather washer in a cap-full of neats foot oil - carefully making sure that there is no pressure on the end of the washer.

How long do you believe I should leave it to soak to rejuvenate it?

Or. am I wasting my time and better buying a replacement?

TIA

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Good afternoon Learned Throng.

I'm re-commissioning a G80 for friend. It was originally supplied by Airgunaid, probably in the late '70's early '80's. BTW there are 3 numbers stamped into the U/S of the stock, just in front of the Trigger Guard which look like 791

I suspect it's probably never had more than a handful of pellet's thru it by its excellent condition and still in it original box.

I've stripped it, and as I suspected. the Piston washer is 'rather' Dry, albeit in excellent condition.

I've suspended the piston via the latch rod, from the chuck in my pillar drill and lowered the leather washer in a cap-full of neats foot oil - carefully making sure that there is no pressure on the end of the washer.

How long do you believe I should leave it to soak to rejuvenate it?

Or. am I wasting my time and better buying a replacement?

TIA

Steve
    Now why did the phrase leather thong just pop into my head?

(Must be 'leather seal' + 'learned throng' )
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Diana G80 - Leather Seal Rejuvination

I use warmed hempseed oil painted on then wrap it in clingfilm overnight, repeat if seems dry the next day, i find it better than neatsfoot oil & tastes lovely as a salad dressing to boot..... the triggers respond well to shimming out the side play & polishing up any rough surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I use warmed hempseed oil painted on then wrap it in clingfilm overnight, repeat if seems dry the next day, i find it better than neatsfoot oil & tastes lovely as a salad dressing to boot..... the triggers respond well to shimming out the side play & polishing up any rough surfaces.
    Excellent information...many thanks.
    I'm surprised how poorly engineered the piston is being a fabrication of pressed and rolled sheet steel spot welded together. The area where the cocking linkage mates looks woefully 'soft'.

Cheers. Steve