Thread: Diana Model 10

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In the early 80's I used an Original mod 10 in 10m match competitions at my local club with a high degree of success before buying a FWB 65 and then moving on to a Morini but I regret selling the mod 10; a nice pistol to shoot.

The model 10 is a fantastic airgun, arguably the best barrel-cocking spring-piston pistol that it's possible to make...nothing quite like it before or since. Grips, trigger, and sights are all significantly advanced over the 6G.

The down side is that the mechanics are even more complex than the model 6 - especially the trigger mechanism, so you need to either buy one in good nick or have a good mechanic to hand! And, it is even heavier than the FWB 65.

Part of the issue is balance. The Giss system is amazing, but makes for a long receiver tube and a lot of weight in the middle of the gun. To get the muzzle-heavy feel that I like, I needed the auxiliary weight, putting things near the 1.5 kg legal limit. Even in my younger/fitter days, I was all over the target after just a few shots.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 01-03-2024 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    The model 10 is a fantastic airgun, arguably the best barrel-cocking spring pistol that it's possible to make...nothing quite like it before or since. Grips, trigger, and sights are all significantly advanced over the 6G.

The down side is that the mechanics are even more complex than the model 6 - especially the trigger mechanism, so you need to either buy one in good nick or have a good mechanic to hand! And, it is heavy, especially with the optional muzzle weight mounted. It weighs even more than the FWB 65.
    Having re-assembled the trigger mechanism on a FWB 65, the Model 10 can't be any more complicated than that!

It may be that I will not be able to acquire one any time soon; the sale of Ian Jones's collection at the Melbourne Airgun Fayre will not now happen, and there was the possibility of buying his. I will just continue to work on the anatomical grip for my 6G and see how I get on with that for now.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

If you are serious at all about 10m forget the 10, as has been said above it is heavy and too forward balanced, save your money and buy a s/h pcp.
    But if you are a plinker, shooting for just fun and love mechanical things it is fine but the 6 is also just as good, not many 10's were sold as it was up against the 65 and that is so much better.

I already have a pcp target pistol, had a FWB 65, but due to a bad right elbow, I couldn't manage the side lever cocking. I recently purchased a 6G that has been my first experience with the Giss system, and I am quite impressed, but the limited trigger adjustment is a bit frustrating.
    The Model 10 looks a sleeker bit of kit with a lower sight line and better anatomical grip.
    I don't think I would ever use one for serious competition, but it would fill the void left by the 65 as a 'vintage' target springer.

And IMHO, the 10 just looks so cool!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I already have a pcp target pistol, had a FWB 65, but due to a bad right elbow, I couldn't manage the side lever cocking. I recently purchased a 6G that has been my first experience with the Giss system, and I am quite impressed, but the limited trigger adjustment is a bit frustrating.
    The Model 10 looks a sleeker bit of kit with a lower sight line and better anatomical grip.
    I don't think I would ever use one for serious competition, but it would fill the void left by the 65 as a 'vintage' target springer.

And IMHO, the 10 just looks so cool!
    Agreed
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I liked the model 10 (I had a 6M and 10). But I found the grip to be too thin for me. But pistol (GISS) is awesome to shoot, good trigger.
    I rate them higher than the FWB65. Never could get along with these. Awkward cocking and heavy at the back and no weight up front. If you can, buy one.
    On egun they go for E300 ish Id estimate.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I already have a pcp target pistol, had a FWB 65, but due to a bad right elbow, I couldn't manage the side lever cocking.
    As an aside, I've found that how I hold a 65 when cocking makes a difference for my old elbows.

The traditional way for a right-hander, is to hold the pistol vertically in the right hand; grab the lever overhand with the left, and pull sideways:

I find it easier to hold it horizontally (palm facing up), grab the lever underhand, and pull up:

Last edited by MDriskill; 01-03-2024 at 08:01 PM.