Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ij collection

Ij collection

With regret I must tell you the family have decided to sell the collection to a dealer.
    So I won't be taking it two Melbourne or chorley to sell.
    [url]www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Disappointing for those of us who knew IJ - even if just over the phone.

However, if a dealer has the lot they will all go onto the market.

I hope they got a fair deal

That is a shame for those of us in the airgun community, and I think the various events would have yielded more for the family, but then it would have prolonged the situation for them too. It's not always about the money...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I can understand the Family taking this decision for ease of disposal, but they will only receive approximately 50% of the collection's value.
    A friend of mine recently did the same, as he was unable to get to a Post Office to despatch his large collection of air pistols, and he ended up with 50% of their estimated value, which overall was realistic.
    It's a shame though, as Ian was keen supporter of the proposed sale venue, and a lot of his friends would have been able to acquire items from his collection at reasonable prices.

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    All though I only met him once, at Quigley Bottom, I did buy a gun off him there, a very entertaining chap was IJ.

Melv

Chippendale. (with clothes on)

Just shows though, when we're all toast, the sentiment will die with us. Better to dispose of collections while you still can, I suppose, if you care where they end up. Personally, I want the pleasure of owning my collection for as long as possible!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Such a pity, knowing this collection has gone to a trader, I can understand the family's point, as it's easier for them at this difficult time, no fuss and all gone at the same time.
    I can only agree they will find there way into the market, at a vastly inflated price to what the family received.
    I purchased a nice rifle a few years back from a nice old gent, who knew his health was deteriorating, and was selling off his collection, to people who he knew would cherish his rifles , after he'd gone. And his legacy bring joy to someone else.
    It was his concern was that after his passing, his family would just sell them to a local dealer and his family not receiving the value they was worth.

Really depends on the deal the dealer gave. Might be a family friend, or someone who knew I.J. well so doing the family a favour for costs????
    We might find the dealer offering on here even with it identified as of I.J. collection. An I.J. premium would only work on here, otherwise it is open market to whatever market value is.

I don't know. I am always optimistic about these things until proven differently.

I.J. had a superb collection, but even he would agree that most have a pretty set value whatever that is.
    Some here know I.J.'s collection well enough and would likely enjoy the odd one or two. I don't think anyone would go mad though, but would offer a respectable price.

The real value of a collection is the enjoyment you get out of collecting it all. We are just custodians for a short while. I.J. loved his collecting, what price joy?

They will turn up somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Just shows though, when we're all toast, the sentiment will die with us. Better to dispose of collections while you still can, I suppose, if you care where they end up. Personally, I want the pleasure of owning my collection for as long as possible!
    Yes, I also want to hang on to my collection for as long as possible. Once I've gone, I'd like to see it go to those who appreciate it for what it is but I don't want to think of it leaving me until I'm gone.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

thats a shame

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Pity it as gone to a dealer, and not through the airgun fairs and fourms. as l am sure that collectors who new IJ would have given a bit more money on top of their worth for some of his guns knowing that his family where going to benefit. but it does save them the hassel of selling them in bits and drabs which might have been to upsetting for them to do.

As the deal is now done, I will reveal that we offered his friend who was going to dispose of Ian's collection free tables at Kempton until the lot was sold.

The fact that the trade have bought the lot, may well be a good thing for his family. A lump some can be put to good use. Of course the trader will only pay 50% of the final retail price, as they will be sat on tables for a long time.

RIP IJ

Often a bereaving family will have no idea about guns, no idea how to look after them, and they just become a complete worry. There is usually loads to sort out. The taxman may well want to know too. Funeral costs aren't cheap either. And then the loss of a loved one. No fun at all.

A sixty gun collection even if reasonably priced is going to take several days at trade fair tables. Might take several years to find homes. The good ones will go fast, but it is the less important ones that might take an age.
    How much would you price five days work?
    And then air rifles just don't have huge value. 30 guns £12k? Sure the odd one makes good money, but most don't, most have a very tight limit. Each requires several hours work. That "50%" soon gets lost in pure effort as it is the last 20% that is any profit..that is if it is a profit or just sustaining the hobby of it all. A lot of traders just do it for the fun, with hope that any "profit" covers the costs of trading. Shop traders have staff and business rates before any "profit".

I hope the family received enough to do something fun with.
    Hopefully, I.J. collection will turn up and some go up for sale. Then they can give joy to another air gun enthusiast. How it should be.

IJ

With a 176 rifles, pistols, scopes and mounts I do hope the family got a good deal. RIP I.J..Mach 1.5

I wonder wether it was Perkin Guns bought them? A HW35 Vixen in .177 has just been listed on Guntrader.
    IJ had a few of them?
    People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!