Thread: B at auction

B at auction

Nosing through the web today, I came across a nice BSA Improved model B. As far as I could see it had nothing special about it.
    The hammer was £400, so probably £500 plus in total.

At Kempton, I have had a good example model B on offer for £200 for 3 fairs

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Nosing through the web today, I came across a nice BSA Improved model B. As far as I could see it had nothing special about it.

Only thing I can think of with your example is gun blindness, Mr Binners. There's just so much to see that rifles can be easily missed. Well easy for me anyhow!

That is a nice B you have btw - not a common BSA by any means.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Yes, IMBs are pretty scarce, but unlike a no.3 calibre, Milpat, Juvenile etc the main difference from a regular IMD is the stamping, not something really distinctive and interesting.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I was watching a bsa .22 Mercury challenger today at Eastboure Auctions it was rough, no open sights it did have a cheap scope on it, the woodwork was scratched and dented the metal work was pitted with rust, I bid up to £80 as a restoration project It finished on the hammer at £220 plus the fees it worked out at £300, thats crazy i have seen some nice ones complete with open sights with nice woodwork and nice blueing for less than that at Kempton, wish i had kept the two .177 challengers i had.

There are different 'types' of collector who operate in different spheres from each other. The guy that ferrets around an arms fair at an unwordly time of the morning is not necessarily the same fella that also buys on line, and vice versa. That is why 'cheaper' guns often remain un sold at an arms fair, where the same item would have made more money at auction - though with fees not necessarily for the seller!

If all collectors attended both arms fairs and auctions then the auction prices would be lower. But in the same way that so many people buy anything they need on line, so do many buyers of old airguns, and indeed anything else, but they will often pay more for the convenience of not leaving their house, due to competition from others like minded.

But I do suspect that many online buyers will be disappointed when they finally inspect the goods, as even with photos, so many serious defects can be missed, compared to when viewing live.

Auction prices seem to be crazy these days, last gun I watched was a scruffy TX200 that was jammed according to the description, it made £400 on the hammer , so over £500 with the fees, a new one can be bought for not a lot more.... bonkers!!

The problems come when potential sellers see the inflated auction prices that some guns make, and then suggest that is the "True Value" of all similar models. Little do they understand that the seller never receives all the money.

Also few people factor in the costs when shops offer to buy your guns.

Auctions such as Kempton are the absolute best place to buy guns from, as you get to handle the guns before hand, and often there is a chance to haggle on price. Any sales are free from sellers fee's once the cost of the pitch are covered.

Happy Days !

LAKEY