Thread: Park RH 93 rifle

Park RH 93 rifle

I would like to share my views on the Park RH 93.I hope you’ll find it interesting,especially since this is an unusual airgun.
    This air-gun has been covered before and there is bound to be some similarity , but I will do my best to be as objective as I can. The gun is approximately 12 years old,but it is practically new.
    It is in 0.22 cal. with a factory supplied walnut 800 thumb-hole stock and silencer.The all- up weight including a scope is nearly 12 lbs.
    I intend to collect at least one variant of the various propelling systems found in air-guns ,and the Park fitted the bill nicely.
    I am not a fan of thumbhole stocks ,but I was immediately won over by its sleek lines and nice grain .It can accommodate a pistol grip or a thumbs up position. The stock is furnished with an adjustable shoulder plate which can move in the vertical plane. The stock by itself weighs 3 lbs .The oil finish is semi matt and very good.
    The stock is held in place by three screws ,one on the trigger guard and two on the fore end .These two pass through the fore end at an angle, very close to the stock’s vertical edge and they protrude very slightly by a couple of mm above the stock’s surface.They could do with having a smaller head ,so as to be flush with the stock’s surface. The stock to action fit is good.
    The trigger guard is black anodized aluminum ,held in place by one wood screw in front and by one machine screw aft.
    The smooth brass trigger blade is fairly wide and good enough for general shooting .To be honest ,it does not compare with a standard Weihrauch Rekord unit of the same era(early/mid 90’s).A pity really when one considers the remarkable accuracy of this gun even with that trigger. It has a smooth take up, then it definitely needs more(considerably more) pressure, drags a bit and then it breaks, not very helpful for slow deliberate shooting,but I suppose it is ok for general use.
    I’ve been spoilt shooting match rifles too long I think!
    The safety button is correctly positioned and feels very positive. The gun shoulders well given its weight and the c of g is about 10cm ahead of the trigger, so it feels quite manageable.
    The metal finish of the gun is good, and it is very solid from an engineering perspective .Not a bit of plastic anywhere.
    I have not been inside to have a good look, but with the stock removed , the same level of solid engineering is evident here too. It weighs in at 8 lbs in this state, including the silencer! That’s heavy even though it is a relatively short gun .There is a lot of metal in this gun.
    The loading area is adequate and the bolt action is slick and sensitive enough to feel the varying resistance of different pellet types, as they are fed into the barrel .Scope rails are good and as no open sights are supplied, a scope is a must.
    A pellet stood on the curved scope clamp does not fall off upon firing .Such is the smoothness of the gun’s firing cycle. An accuracy test on an indoor range, at ten meters ,off a bench rest,
    gave very good results (given the trigger),producing a one 9mm hole with 5 consecutive shots. Pellets used were jsb 5.52 exacts. The sighting system used was a 6/18x40 scope.
    Here is some data of velocity tests carried out firing 15 consecutive shots using a BMS Chronograph:

JSB pellets 5.50mm :
    Average Velocity 592fps.
    Diff.max/min Velocity 16fps.

JSB pellets 5.52mm:
    Average Velocity 590fps.
    Diff.max/min Velocity 12fps.

The Lothar Walther barrel is fully floating held in place by 3 allen grub screws that pass through the dovetail block ahead of the loading port.There is a standard silencer that can be replaced with a small end-cap that threads on to the muzzle .The silencer appears to be made of aluminum with a spring loaded baffle inside.
    There is a very small difference in noise level with and without the silencer in place.
    There is no vibration or excessive noise on letting off the shot and the mechanical noise is quite subdued,which gives me the impression that inside, tolerances are quite good.
    Cocking it is not as hard as has been pointed elsewhere, and though not in the easy category ,it is comparable to an Airking 54 on full song. There is a knack to doing it and it is easy once acquired. This comparison is just to give an indication of the effort needed to cock its twin-spring recoilless action.
    The lever is retained by a ball détente which locks/unlocks smoothly on the front part of the cylinder.
    To sum it all up, I am pleased with the Park93, because although not made any more and not 100% perfect, it has all the attributes of a good air-gun, shoots accurately , rock-solid engineering and has the added bonus of being fairly uncommon.

Nice review of an excellent gun

More opinions here:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?t=70245

I have the RH91 here, and a RH93 undergoing restoration at present.

Cheers,

Dan

I appreciate I am replying on a very old thread but having recently bought a Park RH93 in .177 I thought I'd make it re- surface.
    My rifle is also in very nice condition only marred by a bit of 'smudged bluing' on the cocking lever where moisture crept in under the sling swivel mount. Only small and doesn't affect the performance of the gun. The stock on mine is a RH walnut sporter which is useable by me as a lefty but I'd clearly like to find a proper LH stock preferably the walnut thumbhole but walnut sporter would be a result too.
    I agree with most of the comments on the original thread starter although a)my trigger is fine and b) my safety catch is quite stiff in use probably because the rifle has seen little use. However I find the cocking effort considerable. I'm not a wally-I can cock a Theoben Eliminator with greater ease than I can the Park. The cocking lever is very short and if the rifle was still in production I would suggest that some form of matching cocking lever extension would be a good idea along the lines of the BSA Scorpion air pistol. As it is we must realise that the rifle has 2 pistons and the Whiscombe -arguably a similar rifle with horizontally opposed pistons- requires 2 strokes of the lever to cock the legal limit models and THREE to cock the FAC model JW80.
    The rifle performs very well. It is 'spot on' accurate and is totally inert. Given the ritual involved in cocking and loading it isn't really suitable for field use but as a club gun it is great and can hold its own with even the best precharged rifles.
    All in all an interesting -if a bit quirky- addition to my collection of self powered rifles.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Here are my two, a Park 91 bottom and Park 93 Top, both in .177. Both fitted with B&L scopes.

They are hefty. The 91 is a little easier to cock and has the better trigger though I haven't tried tuning the 93. I don't think the safety catch is very necessary, and I like the lever catch more on the 91 too. Walnut is quite a bit heavier than the beech. Both nat drive if I do my bit, using RWS Superdomes..
    They are not completely forgiving but getting there. Every bit as good as a tuned short stroke HW77, which is pretty good. Very close to recoilless and it is possible to watch the pellet land. Pretty quiet too with or without the moderator. They aren't PCP perfect but will give one a run for its money. I think they are great.

They make the best "sniping out of the bedroom window" air rifles going
    Last edited by Muskett; 07-01-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Park

Nice reviews and pretty spot on. I came close to buying one of these when they came out but ended up with an early Daystate. Looking back though and comparing them to current rifles I think they look very good. As people say, a bit quirky but they solved 12 foot pound recolies air rilfe problem and no air tank needed.
    Cannot be bad
    BorderBorder