Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tale of 2 Wesley Richards Highest Possible Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I prefer the large Victorian revolver appearance of the WR Non-Concentric Highest Possible to it’s Concentric successor in the same way that I prefer the appearance of pre-war Straight Grip Webley models to the later Slant Grip examples, but the later designs certainly feel better in the hand and are consequently easier to shoot more consistently.
    Although undeniably technically advanced, I have always thought the WR Concentric to be a bit of a retrograde step with its smoothbore barrel and fully fixed sights.
    Both are nice pistols, but its easy to understand why the Concentric had such a very short production run having been launched around the same time as the much more compact and all conquering Webley Mk1 in the early twenties.

Brian
    I just can’t get as excited about the concentric though it is certainly the rarer collectable. It looks like a flare pistol and is a bit cheaper looking? To me this fits into the old observation that once the first gun is made the following gun is usually thought out as a bit of cost cutting? Yes the concentric design is historical but it does make me like it? To me now having a WR the first pistol is iconic, nothing really approaching it?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I just can’t get as excited about the concentric though it is certainly the rarer collectable. It looks like a flare pistol and is a bit cheaper looking? To me this fits into the old observation that once the first gun is made the following gun is usually thought out as a bit of cost cutting? Yes the concentric design is historical but it does make me like it? To me now having a WR the first pistol is iconic, nothing really approaching it?
    I think the fact that 10 times more examples of the non-concentric pistol were produced than the concentric version speaks for itself Steve, and shows that the public shared your opinion.

However, collectors can be motivated in many different directions, and for me it is the historical significance that dominates over cosmetic appeal or even shootability, so the two versions of the Highest Possible pistol were equally desirable to me. Probably why a lot of people would not give house room to some of my collection.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Interesting how much easier it has become to find/acquire WR pistols. Must be an internet thing. I acquired mine from a guy whose father (working as a dustman) had retrieved it from a bin on his rounds. He took it to W to ask if it had any value (they knew the name) but was told it was only worth half a crown (yes a long while ago I believe). He had the spring replaced (a shame I would have liked the original) but it continues to shoot well enough and yes, the 'old colonel' look of the thing is wondrous.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    That was the same reason that l parted with my concentric, as l did not like the way it looked like a flare pistol. but l was only just starting to collect air guns then, and didn't know just how rare it was. l have learnt so much more since.

One is a bit fascinating in that the lever to open the breech must have broken but the repair was made by someone pretty good and clever. He shaped the remain piece into a smaller lever that is very accessible to a thumb and index finger pulling it. He drilled a post into the grip to hold it into position. If you never saw a WR you could very well think that this was the way it was originally made. It looks neater?

I think it is more likely that this was a deliberate modification so it could be shot left handed. I cant imagine how that lever would break?

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I think it is more likely that this was a deliberate modification so it could be shot left handed. I cant imagine how that lever would break?
    That is a great observation and I bet that you are correct. As you say the lever is very substantial and would seem unlikely to break. Thanks for that thought it would never have come to me and makes perfect sense!
    Last edited by 45flint; 07-10-2023 at 01:09 AM.