Thread: Titan MK1 Valuation Please.

Titan MK1 Valuation Please.

Morning All,
    As above, Im after a valuation for a Titan MK1 Pistol by Frank Clarke please.
    I have been asked to put in an offer but not up to speed with value.
    It shoots fine.
    The chaps mentioning £1300 + , is this in the ball park for a good working example?
    Sorry I don't know how to put pics up.
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by grantybe View Post
    Morning All,
    As above, Im after a valuation for a Titan MK1 Pistol by Frank Clarke please.
    I have been asked to put in an offer but not up to speed with value.
    It shoots fine.
    The chaps mentioning £1300 + , is this in the ball park for a good working example?
    Sorry I don't know how to put pics up.
    thx
    As you are probably already aware, the Mk1 & Mk2 are probably the rarest of the seven Titan variants and differ significantly in appearance to the later Mk3 to Mk7 models. The main difference between the Mk1 and the Mk2 was the cocking method with the Mk1 being cocked by pulling the muzzle plunger forward and the Mk 2 by pushing in a rod from the breech end as with all the later variants. I believe that there are only around half a dozen Mk1s known to collectors and even fewer Mk2s which will consequently be reflected in the asking price for such a rarity. You will need to carefully check it out for originality, functionality and cosmetic condition, but I would have thought somewhere between £1000 - £1500 to be in the right ball park for an example in good condition.
    If you PM me I would be happy to let you have my email address so that you could email me some pictures which I could upload to the forum on your behalf.
    Brian

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    That sounds about right for a private sale, assuming that there are no rust/pitting issues and everything is original.
    A dealer would offer it for a lot more of course, but would be prepared to have it on his hands for quite a while. At auction it might fetch a higher price, but you would probably be worse off after commission is deducted.

If you would like me to put up your pictures for you, you can email them to me.

Cheers,
    John

Thanks for the offer John of uploading the pics. I have given my email address to Brian for this purpose. The seller has thrown a £2000 figure so I have decided not to buy. I would rather fill my cupboard up with a dozen guns which I would get more more enjoyment out of rather than just one. I have uploaded the pics to the airgun forum collectable section.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by grantybe View Post
    Thanks for the offer John of uploading the pics. I have given my email address to Brian for this purpose. The seller has thrown a £2000 figure so I have decided not to buy. I would rather fill my cupboard up with a dozen guns which I would get more more enjoyment out of rather than just one. I have uploaded the pics to the airgun forum collectable section.
    As the potential buyer I think you have made a very sensible decision. I would only ever pay a very high price for a collectable if I knew that I wanted it more than any other pistol I needed for my collection.

I have had a look at the pics of the said pistol (they are on the other forum) and the pistol has serial number 77, which is both new to me and also the lowest yet reported. As is typical of the lower serial numbered guns, the impressed registered design number on the rear of the cylinder is very clear. On later guns the number was always partly unreadable due to wear in the die.
    Overall the pistol appears to be in very good condition, but on the downside the cocking knob is not original, and the cocking rod looks to have been shortened, probably to re-thread the end for the replacement knob. The original thread was an awkward non-standard size.

Unfortunately, I am having a few problems with the image editor on my computer at the moment, but here are a few pictures of the Titan Mk1 in question. I will try to post some better images when I get things sorted out.

Brian