Thread: Chronographs.

Chronographs.

I like to put my airguns over a Chronograph every so often to confirm compliance with the legal limits, pellet selection or if I have been tinkering with them. Setting up traditional Chronographs can take some time and are not always suitable for inside and outside use. This recently acquired FX Radar unit uses Doppler radar returns to measure muzzle velocity and energy both of which can then be displayed and heard via voice output on an associated free App downloaded to your mobile phone. The Chronograph is normally powered by 3 AAA batteries which can run down quite quickly during extended use especially during pellet selection. I fitted a neat little modification which replaces the usual batteries with dummy ones linked to a replacement front plate equipped with a USB connector allowing the use of an external power pack which lasts forever between charges. I believe the latest version of the Chronograph is even smaller and now includes an integral, rechargeable lithium battery with an associated USB connector meaning my modification is no longer required. The whole kit easily fits into my shooting bag and can be set-up ready to use in minutes either outside or at an indoor range.

is

Brian

One of my club members has one of these, a very impressive piece of kit. Despite having a modern chrono, most of my velocity testing is done on an old Skan MK4 from the early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    One of my club members has one of these, a very impressive piece of kit. Despite having a modern chrono, most of my velocity testing is done on an old Skan MK4 from the early 80's.
    To be fair the skan is used by the police firearms department so they are the best out there. The FX is a neat portable bit of kit and has its uses but I will stick with my skan

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    To be fair the skan is used by the police firearms department so they are the best out there. The FX is a neat portable bit of kit and has its uses but I will stick with my skan
    We have a Skan for general use at my local club and by using the calibration setting from the FX menu I have been able to tune it to display very similar results.
    Brian

look a nice bit of kit