Thread: Take Down Rifle (TDR) - can you recognise it?

Take Down Rifle (TDR) - can you recognise it?

Could you help me identify this .177 Take Down (air) Rifle? It has no name or visible number. I assume it is a prototype, possibly for a Colchester Gamekeeper or a Bowkett.
    Here are the images: https://postimg.cc/gallery/y3QHTQy
    A friend suggested the butt pad was sculpted with an ice cream scoop. The wood however is decent quality, even if the action looks a bit agricultural. The cocking lever screw and cylinder end cap are missing, so I haven't shot it.
    Millimetres matter

A chap called Rob Chainey made some pretty horrible guns none of which could hit anything with any consistency. it might be one of his.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

You say that you assume its a prototype gamekeeper but that was the Southams catalogue listings explanation but its certainly an early gamekeeper in most aspects as the early ones had the side cocking lever but early colchester went through a few different hands before it finally made production. I would go with the catalogue listing and could have been done by Providence Arms Co Ltd England as they where trying to make improvements after they took over in 92 ish. Its the side bolt one that is actually the earliest so i would say its the early prototype circa 1987 as the production side lever had the bottle.
    There is a thread on bbs about them in the archives.. Think Martin Nettleton had something to do with them.. Col.

Plenty on bbs if you type colchester gamekeeper in the search box
    Last edited by colin g; 26-09-2023 at 09:28 PM.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    You say that you assume its a prototype gamekeeper but that was the Southams catalogue listings explanation but its certainly an early gamekeeper in most aspects as the early ones had the side cocking lever but early colchester went through a few different hands before it finally made production. I would go with the catalogue listing and could have been done by Providence Arms Co Ltd England as they where trying to make improvements after they took over in 92 ish. Its the side bolt one that is actually the earliest so i would say its the early prototype circa 1987 as the production side lever had the bottle.
    There is a thread on bbs about them in the archives.. Think Martin Nettleton had something to do with them.. Col.

Plenty on bbs if you type colchester gamekeeper in the search box
    Yes l would go along with the auction listing of it. l like it better than how it finished up, l didn't like the bottle stuck stuck on the end.

Gamekeeper TDR

Thank you for those valuable leads. I will follow them up.
    Millimetres matter

That was actually made by myself approx 1990, i was only talking about that a couple of days ago, as ive never seen it in almost 30 years, nice to see its still about
    Shaun

Was it worth the trouble, Ah, what trouble

Needless to say i didnt fit the butt cap as it where with an ice cream scoop, the cylinder was also made to be quickly detachable, but who knows whats been done to it in all that time
    Shaun

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan View Post
    That was actually made by myself approx 1990, i was only talking about that a couple of days ago, as ive never seen it in almost 30 years, nice to see its still about
    Great to find out just who made it, saves any guess work.

Looks like a Brocock Enigma - but presumably before there was such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Looks like a Brocock Enigma - but presumably before there was such a thing?
    yes it definitely was, i don’t think brocock pcps where even thought of when i made that, can’t believe it’s been almost thirty five years ago when i made that, how time flys, certainly makes you feel old 😲
    Shaun