Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare Lincoln Jeffries Extended Cylinder Air Pistol.

Rare Lincoln Jeffries Extended Cylinder Air Pistol.

Heads-up for an extremely rare Lincoln Jeffries air pistol coming up at a Dukes auction to be held on 4th October.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...51be4801282ebd

Brian

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    That is certainly a rare "sleeper" Brian, as to date the only known example of this type was serial number 2003, and this has always been considered as unique. Fascinating to know that LJ Jr actually made more than one of these target models. I wonder if there are any more out there?

Amazing, Brian! As John says, I always assumed this was a one-off.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....et-air-pistol/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

a fantastic looking pistol and extremely rare by the sound of it.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Going by the se/nos on the now 2 know, is it safe to say that there might be at least 2 more. it is a pity that the photos on Danny's web site didn't put a photo up with the grips removed.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Going by the se/nos on the now 2 know, is it safe to say that there might be at least 2 more. it is a pity that the photos on Danny's web site didn't put a photo up with the grips removed.
    Mick the owner of 2003 has sent a pic of the pistol without grips. I'll add it to the gallery shortly.

He adds:

"The grips are identical to the ones on 2003, but having scaled the size from the auction photo the cylinder on No.2003 is about 1 inch longer below the grips than on No.2006.The cocking link on 2003 is also slightly different in that it extends further down below the bottom of the grips.

I do know that 2004 is also an extended version of the standard pistol but it does not have the walnut grips."
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    As summarised in ESAP2, the 2000 series of the Lincoln Jeffries pistols are characterised not only by their extended cylinder length (in comparison with the Lincoln pistol), but more specifically by their long barrels (10-11 inches). Within the 2000 series the cylinder and barrel dimensions are slightly variable, as is the shape of the cocking link. The rare inclusion of a walnut grip is yet another variable. So to date we know of SN 2003 and 2006 that have the wooden grip, and SN 2004 and 2012 that were not fitted with such a grip. All these guns were apparently made on an ad hoc basis, and would have been largely hand built. There are evidently a few more out there to be discovered.

Pics now added.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Mick the owner of 2003 has sent a pic of the pistol without grips. I'll add it to the gallery shortly.

He adds:

"The grips are identical to the ones on 2003, but having scaled the size from the auction photo the cylinder on No.2003 is about 1 inch longer below the grips than on No.2006.The cocking link on 2003 is also slightly different in that it extends further down below the bottom of the grips.

I do know that 2004 is also an extended version of the standard pistol but it does not have the walnut grips."
    Hi Danny, many thanks for the owner for sending the photos, and to your self for putting extra photos up, plus the extra info on the 2 other pistols.
    ATB
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    As summarised in ESAP2, the 2000 series of the Lincoln Jeffries pistols are characterised not only by their extended cylinder length (in comparison with the Lincoln pistol), but more specifically by their long barrels (10-11 inches). Within the 2000 series the cylinder and barrel dimensions are slightly variable, as is the shape of the cocking link. The rare inclusion of a walnut grip is yet another variable. So to date we know of SN 2003 and 2006 that have the wooden grip, and SN 2004 and 2012 that were not fitted with such a grip. All these guns were apparently made on an ad hoc basis, and would have been largely hand built. There are evidently a few more out there to be discovered.
    Hi John, it seems that we can take it that most of the target pistols, where made to fit who ever bought them. along with Danny's extra info on the 2 with the different size Walnut grips. l wonder just how many he did make. by the se/nos at least 10.

Looks like the pistol currently up for auction has a BSA No.10 rearsight.

A nice pistol, but I always think those Lincoln pistols look like they have been assembled from plumbing parts ???

I'll get my coat........

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Looks like the pistol currently up for auction has a BSA No.10 rearsight.

A nice pistol, but I always think those Lincoln pistols look like they have been assembled from plumbing parts ???

I'll get my coat........

Lakey
    Don't know what you mean Andy.

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Don't know what you mean Andy.

I like that one Danny, could it be prototype L.J

Although the LJ Jnr models are clearly pretty high on the list of less aesthetically appealing air pistols, the Cogswell & Harrison Certus must be right up there. I think Wallace & Gromit rather than Cogswell & Harrison might have been a more appropriate manufacturer.
    As an aside, although I find prototype or airguns only made in single figure numbers fascinating,for me they must be part of a small production run of around at least 100 or so to be of collectable interest.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 30-09-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I was wondering about this one, so its target gun.