Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wagria recoilless air pistol patent

Fantastic work there,
    seems like only yesterday we were pondering the patent drawing and wondering if it would work.

Maybe if the pellet's gone before the piston's meet that might mitigate some of the synchronisation issues regarding the recoilless effect, but I suppose there would still be some movement if one of the sears released one piston before the other?
    It would be interesting to do a thorough accuracy test after finding the best pellets for it.

I'd be up for doing a video of it one day, always happy for an excuse for a trip to Wales. No more slomo facilities though I'm afraid....

Outstanding work.

Cheers,
    Matt

Astonishing. So well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Fantastic work there,
    seems like only yesterday we were pondering the patent drawing and wondering if it would work.

Maybe if the pellet's gone before the piston's meet that might mitigate some of the synchronisation issues regarding the recoilless effect, but I suppose there would still be some movement if one of the sears released one piston before the other?
    It would be interesting to do a thorough accuracy test after finding the best pellets for it.

I'd be up for doing a video of it one day, always happy for an excuse for a trip to Wales. No more slomo facilities though I'm afraid....

Outstanding work.

Cheers,
    Matt
    I think it will work but definitely needs a bit more refinement. There isn’t any significant recoil but there is a bit of vibration which suggests the synchronisation is off or something isn’t quite balanced.

The trigger is currently very heavy and so the shot release is anything but smooth. I think it can be improved significantly by adjusting the sear angles but it’s never going to be match pistol quality. I did come up with a better trigger mechanism design but decided to stick with the patent drawings initially. However then whole trigger assembly is held on by 2 screws so it will be straightforward to make an alternative if required.

I might be able to get access to a high speed camera which could be useful in diagnosing timing issues. You are welcome to visit at some point to do some filming though.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    the pistons meeting int he middle (in alignment with the port) is just too tricky in terms of variability.

I think for this to turn into something close to a production model, I've have a solid (say 10mm thick) washer welded in the centre between the two pistons, with a port from each side and obviously out the top to the barrel.

That way, even if the piston timing is a fraction off, it won't result in missing the port alignment, or one piston fighting the other so much. It will obviously still affect the recoil characteristics though..

Awesome fabrication and design work though, great project.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

astonishing engineering,i too like to have a tinker but this is way up the scale.excellent work.