Thread: Pedersoli LePage

Pedersoli LePage

I have wanted one for a long time and finally picked one up today, (.36 flavour), I just hope it shoots as well as it looks.
    I only have Kranks "cheap and nasty" fine, anybody suggest a starting load ?

Using Swiss bp the load is 10-12 grain,s but as you are using Krankies nutty slack up a couple of grains to 12-14 grain's of fine powder, As of kranks last delivery of bp it's still nasty but it ain't cheap at £44-50 for 500 gram's That's only £10 a kg cheaper than Swiss .
    Last edited by acmsarh; 05-10-2023 at 10:08 PM.

Thank you, i would like to use Swiss but it's impossible to obtain here at the moment and i have plenty of Kranks to use up.

.36 Le Page

I had a .36 Le Page and it would shoot far better than me! I used Swiss 1 (11 grains) with a cast round ball (.352") and a 015" x 1" patch. I adjusted the rear sight for a 6 o clock aiming point (balancing the black) and it grouped very well, best I shot which was coincidentally the first time I used it was 96/100.
    The load remained the same for the majority of time I owned it, the only variation was a thinner patch (012") but it didn't make a significant difference. I've since gravitated to under hammers but my eye-sight hasn't gravitated with me!!

I have never shot an under hammer, (or even got to see one up close) but i would like to try one some time.
    I got to shoot the Le Page today, it was a bit frustrating, I only managed a dozen shots, 2 fouling shots and 10 on paper and then I had to pack in.
    The set trigger kept moving out of adjustment every couple of shots, hopefully a little drop of loctite will sort it.
    The main problem was with the caps, i only had 10 Remington, which worked fine, when i changed to RWS they just wouldn't work at all, might just be old / damp.

I tried 11 grains of Kranks Fine, (just because i had a .7cc LEE dipper handy), it was very nice to shoot.
    I need to sort a few things, mainly because im set up for .44 but for a first session i was very happy.
    Sights need adjusted but im in no panic to do that, 77 scored but adjusted it would be a 96 so i can't complain.

https://i.ibb.co/DWQKNjg/F179-A3-C3-...4-F90-C7-E.png

https://i.ibb.co/pyPhf6k/08-FD4-F6-F...7-C0103523.png

https://i.ibb.co/xC5PS6q/B99-D13-F4-...A7-CC42-D1.jpg

That's a step in the right direction! Nice piece of wood as well, mine was rather plain. Yes the set triggers can be a pain, it's worth taking the adjusting screw right out if you can and seeing what the end is like? It should have a nice dome on it and not be worn away one side, this can sometimes cause a problem with fine adjustment. Also, I replaced the nipple on mine with a copper beryllium version from Kranks. I have to say it was fine with RWS caps, I tended to use the slightly larger version, 1075 I seem to recall?
    Incidentally, the previous owner of mine had removed the trigger guard spur, something that never bothered me as I got used to shooting without one a long time ago.
    I have to say, Once you shoot an under hammer you'll never want to shoot a side hammer again!

Thanks i will check that screw, haven't had a chance to strip it right down yet.
    It was the 1075 caps i was using but i think they might have been damp.
    I might just order a copper beryllium nipple, i need a nipple wrench anyway, the copper beryllium nipples on my Pedersoli Remington have been very good.
    The spur is taking a bit of getting used to, the grip is a bit of a reach for me but its early days.

Out of curiosity what under hammer are you shooting ?

Yes plenty of flame in the wood, tbh its not really my thing, j would rather it was plain but if it shoots i can live with it.

https://i.ibb.co/mRrCccw/DF51-D568-3...B6-E46-BB2.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/gRkdXxZ/5037-BBA5-C...B90-C9-B30.jpg
    Last edited by rapidboy1; 10-10-2023 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks for the tip about the screw, mine had a little flat worn on one side, i emailed Pedersoli to see if spare parts are available, they responded straight away, shipped free of charge yesterday and it was delivered by UPS today along with a spare, fantastic servive.

I have a very old Ardesa Underhammer that is my go to gun for just about everything. Best score so far is 99/100 in the Welsh Championships a couple of years ago. I've never hit 100 with it despite lots of practice!
    My back-up gun is a .38" Baumkircher which I was fortunate to pick up for a good price. It's very good, in the right hands!