Thread: Webley Junior Engraving.

Webley Junior Engraving.

I understand that the limited engraving to the breechblock of this Webley Junior would have been carried out by apprentices at the factory to conceal minor blemishes introduced during the casting process and this allow the pistols to be sold rather than scrapped. As I知 not aware of any Webley model other than the Junior where this has been the case, I wonder why this practice was confined to the Junior.
    Anybody got a Junior with this or similar engraving in that particular area ?

Brian

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Hi Brian. I assume that this was only a problem with the Junior as all the other models did not have any castings in their construction. These imperfections would not arise with forged components.

Cheers, John

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Hi Brian. I assume that this was only a problem with the Junior as all the other models did not have any castings in their construction. These imperfections would not arise with forged components.

Cheers, John
    Hello John,
    I had forgotten that the larger models were entirely forged with no casting involved, so that would make sense.

Brian

I also have a junior with the engraving, Full area on both sides done. As you say, Done to hide any blemishes.. Col.

Very cool
    Strange to think these apprentices if still alive would be old men (or women) now

The late great Don Blocksidge served his apprenticeship with Webley and explained to me that he was tasked with engraving some of these Webley Juniors. He even recognised some of his work on pistols that I acquired.

I have drafted an article on these pistols and one of these days, must submit it to Airgun World, as I have found several examples of a style that was not featured in Gordon Bruces' book. I am sure there are others out there yet to be discovered.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The late great Don Blocksidge served his apprenticeship with Webley and explained to me that he was tasked with engraving some of these Webley Juniors. He even recognised some of his work on pistols that I acquired.

I have drafted an article on these pistols and one of these days, must submit it to Airgun World, as I have found several examples of a style that was not featured in Gordon Bruces' book. I am sure there are others out there yet to be discovered.

John
    John, did Don ever tell you how he came to become an engraver? It's quite an amusing story.
    Best, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

junior.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I understand that the limited engraving to the breechblock of this Webley Junior would have been carried out by apprentices at the factory to conceal minor blemishes introduced during the casting process and this allow the pistols to be sold rather than scrapped. As I知 not aware of any Webley model other than the Junior where this has been the case, I wonder why this practice was confined to the Junior.

Brian
    I also have a nice one with similar engraving and boxed.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

Brian
    Is that engraving? It looks more like it has been done with some sort of stamp or punch? Maybe an old number or letter stamp that has been sharpened to a point or a centre punch that has been squared off?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Is that engraving? It looks more like it has been done with some sort of stamp or punch? Maybe an old number or letter stamp that has been sharpened to a point or a centre punch that has been squared off?
    This particular example was purchased at a Bisley Arms Fair many years ago and was on sale with a Webley Mk1 both of which were offered in nicely made cases once containing cutlery.
    Although the Junior wasn’t on my list of must haves at the time, the excellent condition of the pistol and the addition of the case and unusual markings twisted my arm. The seller had no idea about the origin of the markings, but from their general appearance they didn’t look like they were added after the pistol had been shipped from the factory.
    I look forward to JMs AGW feature to learn more about the variations and history of these markings which would certainly be in-line with Wesley’s reputation for minimal wastage during production.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 07-10-2023 at 09:30 AM.

The last and probably the last I値l buy.
    So many Juniors.