Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight-Grip Webley Air Pistol.

Straight-Grip Webley Air Pistol.

Although I find the Slant-Grip Webley air pistols more comfortable to hold on aim while shooting, I much prefer the appearance of the Staight-Grip models with the Senior being my favourite. I know these things are often down to individual preference but wondered how many other owners shared by views.

Brian

Thumbs up

I have to say I agree. There’s something about the early Webley, the Senior especially, that is more aesthetically pleasing than later models.

Thumbs up

I've had a few straight gripped Mk1's, They look nicely 'Olde Worlde' but I find them really uncomfortable to shoot, Probably due to arthritic digits!!

I still have one that I know of, There may be another in one of the boxes somewhere!

I tried reblueing this with the Ballistol stuff, It turned out rubbish (As usual!!)

The Ballistol Klever Blue turns out nice usually but even without touching the finished item it fades to brown after a few weeks!

Here's one that I had some years ago, I think I swapped both mk1's for something or other!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Have to disagree!
    Always disliked the toylike, 'plumbers nightmare' look of the straight grip Senior compared to the slanted grip. I find the models with the barrel longer than the compression tube particularly aesthetically displeasing.
    Good deals with these members

My three favourites in order of preference.

Brian

I like all Webleys but that being said, there is something special about a straight grip Senior or Mk II Target that places them a cut above the rest, aesthetically speaking.

Contemporary accounts indicate the straight grip profile was intended to loosely resemble a semi auto pistol of the 1920s and it does this very well.
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

The pre-war straight grip Senior has always been one of my favourites.
    I no longer have any examples in my dwindling collection, but have a very nice boxed Mk.1 wood grip.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I've had a few straight gripped Mk1's, They look nicely 'Olde Worlde' but I find them really uncomfortable to shoot, Probably due to arthritic digits!!

I still have one that I know of, There may be another in one of the boxes somewhere!

I tried reblueing this with the Ballistol stuff, It turned out rubbish (As usual!!)

The Ballistol Klever Blue turns out nice usually but even without touching the finished item it fades to brown after a few weeks!

Here's one that I had some years ago, I think I swapped both mk1's for something or other!

John
    I like the finish on that one in the first pic John.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

i prefer the straight grip's appearance and not keen on the knurling on the later models,just think the smooth barrels give a cleaner look.

I like them for what they represent, a revolutionary design that would live on for the best part of a century.

Mine’s pretty accurate too.

Cheers,
    Matt

Last edited by 45flint; 07-10-2023 at 09:02 PM.

It looks like most who replied would agree that the Straight-Grip Webley models are more appealing to the eye, although there is a strong case to be made for both grip variations.

Brian

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Thinking on it now, the thing that bugs me most might be the arrangment of the trigger guard forward of the grip
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Thinking on it now, the thing that bugs me most might be the arrangment of the trigger guard forward of the grip
    i know what you mean,sure the trigger guard area on the slant grip looks great,that angle with the bright pins is very appealing.

I think the continuance of the early use of wood grips on the Straight Grip Senior similar to those fitted to the Stoeger export models would have made it even more attractive.
    Brian