Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Spring Powered Air Pistol.

your reproduction looks brilliant,can't even begin to imagine how you'd make that.i have to ask how well it shoots?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I am with Danny on this, that you have to categorise what aspect of the gun you are looking at (shootability, rarity, aesthetics, build quality etc.) when deciding on a favourite. Coincidentally I happen to agree with Danny’s three choices.

However, I have one more to add, in the category of “quirky and spooky”. This Lincoln Jeffries Jr. prototype pistol had lain hidden from collectors for 93 years, since LJ patented the design in 1925.

It surfaced completely out of the blue in 2018 at exactly the same time that I completed the build of this reproduction pistol based on the same patent.

Weird or what?

But that was not the only coincidence, as I was also the first person to be asked to identify the newly found pistol. Needless to say I was astounded to have my repro’ pistol in front of me as I looked at the pictures of an original prototype, suddenly appearing magically after almost 100 years. I wonder what are the chances of that?

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy the pistol off the finder (who luckily was not an air gun enthusiast), and it now has a very special significance for me in my collection.
    I understand both Danny’s and your own viewpoint on the difficulty of choosing just one spring powered air pistol when you might have different criteria for specific applications. I should have made this clear in the original thread which should have made it a reservation that we were only allowed one pistol even if it were not ideal for every application.
    I regularly shoot my air pistols and also have a great interest in collecting and an appreciation of the high level of ingenuity and engineering that went into their production.
    That finalised my choice of the Abas Major due to it being accurate enough for informal paper target shooting, it’s innovative design combining superb build quality evidenced by the number of surviving examples still around after nearly eighty years making it a must for vintage air gun collectors. It was a very close thing between the Webley Senior and the Abas Major but the latter edged it for offering something just a little bit different

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I understand both Danny’s and your own viewpoint on the difficulty of choosing just one spring powered air pistol when you might have different criteria for specific applications. I should have made this clear in the original thread which should have made it a reservation that we were only allowed one pistol even if it were not ideal for every application.
    I regularly shoot my air pistols and also have a great interest in collecting and an appreciation of the high level of ingenuity and engineering that went into their production.
    That finalised my choice of the Abas Major due to it being accurate enough for informal paper target shooting, it’s innovative design combining superb build quality evidenced by the number of surviving examples still around after nearly eighty years making it a must for vintage air gun collectors. It was a very close thing between the Webley Senior and the Abas Major but the latter edged it for offering something just a little bit different

Brian
    If the rules of the game insist on only one(!), I think it would have to be the Webley over the Abas Major, for the genius of its design in using the barrel as cocking lever, parallel to the chamber and securely locked by the stirrup. The beauty of this arrangement for me gives the Webley a slight lead over the underlever Abas, although if you discount this edge I think the Abas is better looking, with its barrel concealed by the concentric design.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I must admit that I also prefer the Webley over the Abas Major, for the simple reason that it is better built and performs better. The Abas is solidly built enough, but the handle on the cast steel loading tap is prone to fracture (I have seen three examples with this problem, probably caused by dropping). Other problems I have encountered include the very fine thread on the muzzle cap, which is easily crossed when fitting a spring (there is quite a lot of spring preload), and also the occasional poorly fitting tap which can distort the skirt of the pellet. I also find the Abas quite uncomfortable to cock, most notably during longish shooting sessions.

Having said that, I still very much like the design and look of the gun. My favourite is the early walnut grip version.

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    your reproduction looks brilliant,can't even begin to imagine how you'd make that.i have to ask how well it shoots?
    Thanks. You can read how it was made here in the Gallery https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....tol-prototype/

It is easy to cock thanks to the long over-lever, but a bit tedious to load using the screw tap breech closure. Power is acceptable for its size. You can see it being used in this great video made by our Matt (ptdunk): https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....tol-prototype/

a very good read,mind boggling attention to detail and skill,thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I must admit that I also prefer the Webley over the Abas Major, for the simple reason that it is better built and performs better. The Abas is solidly built enough, but the handle on the cast steel loading tap is prone to fracture (I have seen three examples with this problem, probably caused by dropping). Other problems I have encountered include the very fine thread on the muzzle cap, which is easily crossed when fitting a spring (there is quite a lot of spring preload), and also the occasional poorly fitting tap which can distort the skirt of the pellet. I also find the Abas quite uncomfortable to cock, most notably during longish shooting sessions.

Having said that, I still very much like the design and look of the gun. My favourite is the early walnut grip version.

I fully agree that as with the Webley range, the decision to replace the use of wood grips with synthetic ones greatly reduced the aesthetic appeal of the pistol.
    If I had been looking for a compact and relatively powerful air pistol just after the war, I would probably also have chosen the Webley, but with a more modern assessment especially from the collecting point of view, the Abas Major would remain my first choice.

Brian

A Series premier for me

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Arrow

I don't have one, I prefer single stroke or multi stroke pneumatic pistols.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    I don't have one, I prefer single stroke or multi stroke pneumatic pistols.
    Well at least that spares you the dilemma of finding your favourite. They are all more or less the same.

Even though I love the Webleys I have, to say that I have an individual favourite for shooting would be wrong. Now that I have Mr. Arthur Ritus resident in my hands I have found that my tastes have changed in the last few years.
    10 years ago I would have said a Straight grip Senior , 5 years ago a slant grip Mk1 , 2 years ago a later 'B' series premier but now it' s a toss up between an Akvoke Warrier or a .22 BSA Scorpion ( I find the .177 a little too harsh) with the Scorpion having the edge in being a little more comfortable to grip at the moment.
    Am I just human, or have I mellowed with age?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Even though I love the Webleys I have, to say that I have an individual favourite for shooting would be wrong. Now that I have Mr. Arthur Ritus resident in my hands I have found that my tastes have changed in the last few years.
    10 years ago I would have said a Straight grip Senior , 5 years ago a slant grip Mk1 , 2 years ago a later 'B' series premier but now it' s a toss up between an Akvoke Warrier or a .22 BSA Scorpion ( I find the .177 a little too harsh) with the Scorpion having the edge in being a little more comfortable to grip at the moment.
    Am I just human, or have I mellowed with age?
    Nowt wrong with liking a Scorpion, Sir. As my arms are b-lloxed, I have to shoot 2 handed most of the time. A knackered .22 i Scorpion is my favourite to shoot. The trigger mechanisms can be a pain but I'm pretty good with them now.

A slant gripped Senior is a work of art to look at and I like the look of the Juniors with that frame. I sometimes think its a pity they didn't do a Mk1 like that. (John--if you turn up a MK1 prototype with a Junior type frame, I would be REALLY impressed!) .
    The Haenel 28 is a good looker as well but the Haenel is not very user friendly with that cocking set up.

I like Tempest for shooting as well. I think for older eyes the wider rearsight helps some people shoot better than the narrower sights on older guns.
    I find when I'm in the mood that pretty much any of the Webleys can be good fun to use.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Hy-Score

I have lots of regard for Hy-Score pistols personally.
    I long for a nice one!😜

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dilks View Post
    I have lots of regard for Hy-Score pistols personally.
    I long for a nice one!��
    You have a point an early US version is very nice. Love the loading Iris. Easy to cock and fairly powerful. Makes the Webley look a little dated? Not sure the British version is as good a shooting pistol though it looks so cool.

Last edited by 45flint; 12-10-2023 at 06:25 PM.