Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skan 32

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Perhaps someone with both a Rapid and a Skan could confirm if the adaptor is the same. The only other contemporary bottle gun I can think of is the Super 10.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by rsrjerry View Post
    Hope this link works ?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1Zxr3sm
    Hi jerry.that gun will cost you a good £350-£400 to sort out. Last time I priced getting a fill adapter made I was priced £120. The magazines go for £100-£150 second-hand. Looking at the pics you are also missing the magazine holder on the gun and that's going to cost a fortune to get made plus who is going to lend you a non existent part to be measured up it to be pattened.

Turns out the Superten and Rapid fill adaptors are one and the same. For £15 from Best Fittings this is definitely worth a try. Mike Childs wasn't having bottles made from scratch, just like he wasn't making his own barrels, it was an off the shelf part.

If anyone has a superten or rapid and can measure the thread on the bottle, I can compare it to my Skan.
    Last edited by eyebull; 19-10-2023 at 08:31 AM.

I was once told that Colin g on here is the go to man for Skan rifles knowledge.

No,,,, The fill adapters are totally different, Mike made his own design but I have them copied from the ones i have with my rifles, No luck with the mags though as i only have half a dozen spare mags myself, Did try a printed one but one mis-cock and it exploded. (Fractured in multiple places) If you dont already have a working Skan then sometimes they are not worth repairing unless its for yourself, Around £200 for the standard cylinder, Around £100 per valve and easily the same again for a 2nd hand mag, I Think the fill adapters are around £50 to have made. Before you purchase any of that lot its worth looking down the inside where the cylinder goes to make sure the hammer pin is still inside the rifle, Usually when you dry fire it without the cylinder or bottle on it will pop out. Its a serviceable part and is made to do that. Skan R32 mag on that auction site went for £250 just before last Xmas so not cheap even 2nd hand.
    I can help in most cases but cant work miracles without seeing the rifle.. Col.

Was doing some research yesterday and some people were saying that the bottles were CO2 bottles originally, hence why they have 'FAC' on them (CO2 guns were FAC only pre-1997). So perhaps some kind of CO2 bottle fitting may work.

As above though maybe this is a non-starter; biggest issue I think being the magazine holder. While I would be loath to loan mine out, if you did want to persevere with the project I'd be happy to take mine off the gun and take any and all measurements you may need. It's not an incredibly complex part from what I recall.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that clearly spares are extrememly thin on the ground, so you may be able to recoup your losses breaking the rifle for spares. Sacrilege to some, but I'm sure there are Skan collectors who would have use for the parts...

Any cylinder able to hold the pressure will work but the hammer valve on the end of the cylinder is the item that is needed the most, Mikes own invention and no other valve in the world is going to fit. The hammer hits the valve that is in the bottle to put a shot of air through the rifle hence the rifle is never under pressure so the cylinder can be removed at any time safely, The problem being is that there is not much room for the valve to fit into the skans rifles cavity.. Imagine the gunpower stealth who used the same idea, Same principle of letting a shot of air out of the bottle when the hammer hits the bottle valve.. But its way to big for the skans, The r32 uses the standard bottle we know today but the original valve is also attached to the front of it. ie rapid bottle connected to skan valve then screw to rifle.. Col.

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Any cylinder able to hold the pressure will work but the hammer valve on the end of the cylinder is the item that is needed the most, Mikes own invention and no other valve in the world is going to fit. The hammer hits the valve that is in the bottle to put a shot of air through the rifle hence the rifle is never under pressure so the cylinder can be removed at any time safely, The problem being is that there is not much room for the valve to fit into the skans rifles cavity.. Imagine the gunpower stealth who used the same idea, Same principle of letting a shot of air out of the bottle when the hammer hits the bottle valve.. But its way to big for the skans, The r32 uses the standard bottle we know today but the original valve is also attached to the front of it. ie rapid bottle connected to skan valve then screw to rifle.. Col.
    The OP has the bottle, luckily (and if it's as unique as that then worth a few quid by itself).
    Just not the adaptor, magazine or magazine mounting cylinder.

From what you say then an off the shelf adaptor isn't going to happen

Correct,,, You need the Skan fill adapter,
    Any competent machinist can make one with the right thread cutter but the op has nothing to send to copy hence why i offered one of mine through pm.. Col

The earlier Skan rifles with the slim line cylinders used the Co2 cylinder's used in water/gas fire extinguisher's fitted with a custom valve and marked FAC as they were originally used on CO2 Guns that back in time required an FAC to own , The newer guns use a standard diameter buddy bottle type which are available in different length's as required.

Strange,, Just filled mine today and it certainly uses a skan filling adapter. There has never been any other way whatever cylinder is used,
    You cant get air out of a standard theoben bottle without attaching a skan valve. Its just a plain luxfer 280cc ish bottle fitted with the skan valve.

Edit.
    Only the slim 50mm wide bottles will do as the bigger ones ie 400+ are a different thread. Col.
    Last edited by colin g; 20-10-2023 at 07:12 PM.

No,,,, The fill adapters are totally different, Mike made his own design but I have them copied from the ones i have with my rifles, No luck with the mags though as i only have half a dozen spare mags myself, Did try a printed one but one mis-cock and it exploded. (Fractured in multiple places) If you dont already have a working Skan then sometimes they are not worth repairing unless its for yourself, Around £200 for the standard cylinder, Around £100 per valve and easily the same again for a 2nd hand mag, I Think the fill adapters are around £50 to have made. Before you purchase any of that lot its worth looking down the inside where the cylinder goes to make sure the hammer pin is still inside the rifle, Usually when you dry fire it without the cylinder or bottle on it will pop out. Its a serviceable part and is made to do that. Skan R32 mag on that auction site went for £250 just before last Xmas so not cheap even 2nd hand.
    I can help in most cases but cant work miracles without seeing the rifle.. Col.
    The printed mags are crap. The plastic is just not hard enough to use with the skan mag system. Did you notice col the mag retainer Is missing on the gun?

Only told it was missing wilba mate, Not seen any pics personally. That mag retainer part also includes the actual shuttle components as well for loading the rifle, Everything can be made at a cost but the mags have eluded everyone, Not a clue as to why that part was removed but i suspect the rifle was dropped and the mag and shuttle where damaged. They will be in a little packet in a safe place somewhere on some ones shelf, We all have safe places for stuff but never know where it is when we want it. Never heard of a missing or broken one before. Will order a few more fill adapters next week as i am running short myself. Unlike other fill adapters easily available off the shelf if you lose yours then where do you go.
    Just resurrecting a Skan Swift for a member and luckily it wont need anything apart from a service and the woodwork refinishing. Col.

Only told it was missing wilba mate, Not seen any pics personally. That mag retainer part also includes the actual shuttle components as well for loading the rifle, Everything can be made at a cost but the mags have eluded everyone, Not a clue as to why that part was removed but i suspect the rifle was dropped and the mag and shuttle where damaged. They will be in a little packet in a safe place somewhere on some ones shelf, We all have safe places for stuff but never know where it is when we want it. Never heard of a missing or broken one before. Will order a few more fill adapters next week as i am running short myself. Unlike other fill adapters easily available off the shelf if you lose yours then where do you go.
    Just resurrecting a Skan Swift for a member and luckily it wont need anything apart from a service and the woodwork refinishing. Col.
    Is the swift the same fill adapter as my R32 col? Looking to get another bottle with valve for my skan swift.any idea what that will cost col? I think that gun without the magazine,fill adapter,magazine shuttle mechanism the cost of getting all that will be to expensive I have seen r32's going on g star for £600 complete with a few mags so why bother fixing that one up.

Skan 32

Bought a Skan with a broken delrin bottle adapter. Called Mike and he said he had one left but in steel. He wanted 250 Br Pounds!! OUCH. Got my machinist to make one. BTW tried all kinds of elastics for the mags but was never satisfied. Decided to try orings. 1.78cs x 25mm id work great. Longevity not sure. Next id size up may also work