Thread: Please can anyone recommend me a 10m Air Pistol Coach in Cheshire ...

Please can anyone recommend me a 10m Air Pistol Coach in Cheshire ...

Hello,

I have already had an Air Pistol introductory lesson at my current club and found it really enjoyable and suitably challenging!

In the near future though I will be moving to Cheshire and am looking for a new club to join where I can actively continue with this. I recognise though that the biggest factor in helping me develop is probably being able to find a great coach!

I plan to check out the following clubs (subject to various waiting lists) and have already been in contact with all of them. If anyone can give me a personal recommendation for a GREAT coach from any of them, it would be much appreciated.

Warrington and District Rifle and Pistol Club
    Crewe Rifle and Pistol Club
    Altrincham Rifle and Pistol Club

Best wishes.
    Keith

Hi Keith, can't offer any advice on finding a coach but when I started shooting 10m AP a few years ago I did manage to gather some useful info that helped me sort the basics out. Happy to share if you're interested. Drop me a pm. And don't underestimate the amount of experience and advice that shooters in your club current or future may be able to offer. Regards, charlie
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Best tip

Quote Originally Posted by Itskeith View Post
    Hello,

I have already had an Air Pistol introductory lesson at my current club and found it really enjoyable and suitably challenging!

In the near future though I will be moving to Cheshire and am looking for a new club to join where I can actively continue with this. I recognise though that the biggest factor in helping me develop is probably being able to find a great coach!

I plan to check out the following clubs (subject to various waiting lists) and have already been in contact with all of them. If anyone can give me a personal recommendation for a GREAT coach from any of them, it would be much appreciated.

Warrington and District Rifle and Pistol Club
    Crewe Rifle and Pistol Club
    Altrincham Rifle and Pistol Club

Best wishes.
    Keith
    Hi Keith
    Can't help with a coach, but I had a very good book on pistol shooting by Paul Leatherdale, by far the most valuable piece of advice in the book (for me) went like this,
    "When you bring your pistol up to aim, imagine that there is a connecting rod between the trigger and the foresight post, then use the trigger to carefully pull the post back towards you keeping it in the correct position in relation to the rear sight"
    I have never had another piece of advice that improved my scores so dramatically.
    Good luck with joining the sport.

I would also endorse Paul Leatherdale's book as an excellent source of information for potential air pistol shooters. The book published in 1988 deals with all aspects of pistol shooting but predominantly .22 RF which was legal then before the 1997 handgun ban but there is the odd chapter I think relating to 10m air pistol shooting. The author was an ex British Pistol Champion so he knows what he is talking about.

However most of the techniques and principles for general target pistol disciplines are relative to air pistol shooting including stance, aiming, breathing, grip and shot release etc so well worth purchasing. Although, presumably, out of print now second hand copies are available on-line. The title of the book I am familiar with is "Successful Pistol Shooting" although he may have written others.

Aubrey

Stick to the Basics

We love to complicate things and delve into details when in fact time spent in thoroughly absorbing the basic elements of technique will will be much more profitable. For that reason I thoroughly recommend Training Shooting Sports by Katrin Barth. It's intended for teenagers so it's uncomplicated and an added bonus, it has pctures! It contains a really good clear, step-by-step explanation of the shot process, the foundation of good technique. I honestly believe that the vast majority of club shooters would see a tangible improvement in performance if they acquired a copy and made an effort to apply its advice to their own shooting.

Once you have the basics buttoned up and the foundations well and truly prepared it might be time to move onto other things. This should take abour 12 months or so. You now need to nibble away at the fine details each of which might provide a marginal improvement and together lead to progress. For this there is no substiture for Pistol Shooting - The Olympic Disciplines. It's worth every penny and will provide all the fine detail you require.

Rutty