Thread: Milbro No 27 air rifle

Milbro No 27 air rifle

I have in my collection a pre-war Milbro No 27 air rifle https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....eous/#post-998.
    Are they scarce as have searched the net and have not found any others ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    I have in my collection a pre-war Milbro No 27 air rifle https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....eous/#post-998.
    Are they scarce as have searched the net and have not found any others ?.
    It's a Diana 27 made by MGR in germany and retailed in the UK by Millard brothers of Lanark Scotland. ( Milbro )

Actually quite common and worth about £100 in very good condition. Most people with a pre war collection already have one.

Try searching the gallery site for Diana 27 rather than Milbro 27

Not that scarce but they are a nice item and can perform well.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    It's a Diana 27 made by MGR in germany and retailed in the UK by Millard brothers of Lanark Scotland. ( Milbro )

Actually quite common and worth about £100 in very good condition. Most people with a pre war collection already have one.

Try searching the gallery site for Diana 27 rather than Milbro 27
    Yes found it same as mine marked on cylinder MILBRO FOREIGN but it's the only I have found on the net with this marking ?.
    Last edited by Sunbeam; 23-10-2023 at 12:55 PM.

Was the pre war Diana 27 (Milbro 27) only available in 177?

W H B Smith wrote a little about them in his book Gas Air & Spring........think he described the 27 as surprisingly powerful.

Nice old fashioned air rifles.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Yes found it same as mine marked on cylinder MILBRO FOREIGN but it's the only I have found on the net with this marking ?.
    I don't think that Milbro made all that many of them, but l have had 2 of them in the past.

I have a Milbro Foreign rifle. A nice little thing really .

Well made for what it is . I heard that they had to descibe it as foreign instead of german, due to anti German sentiment in the UK, due to the war.

Lakey

It looks like Milbro sold the 'foreign'-branded 27s much cheaper (37 shillings) than the Diana ones (48s). Just shows what a hefty mark-up Diana applied to their own branded ones.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Interestingly, all the parts on my rifle are number stamped 541 job to see but the example on Vintage Airguns gallery looks like it's numbered 542.
    Last edited by Sunbeam; 25-10-2023 at 07:53 AM.

From my files:

.177, marked ‘Milbro Foreign’, c. 1920s, half stock, break barrel, marked ’10’ to trigger block and some other parts. Renovated Jan 29/30 2013. New piston washer, replacement screw bolt to cocking lever and a refitted barrel hinge bolt with made retaining round nut, new front trigger guard screw, new trigger spring. Rifle has a home made peep hole sight and a home made front ‘dioptre’ sight element holder. Mainspring refinished. Now shooting c. 600 – 650 depending on pellet: Superdomes and Marksman because the bore seems worn and other pellets fall through.

From what I remember the home made front dioptre was made from copper water pipe but worked very well.

Cheers, Phil

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    From my files:

.177, marked ‘Milbro Foreign’, c. 1920s, half stock, break barrel, marked ’10’ to trigger block and some other parts. Renovated Jan 29/30 2013. New piston washer, replacement screw bolt to cocking lever and a refitted barrel hinge bolt with made retaining round nut, new front trigger guard screw, new trigger spring. Rifle has a home made peep hole sight and a home made front ‘dioptre’ sight element holder. Mainspring refinished. Now shooting c. 600 – 650 depending on pellet: Superdomes and Marksman because the bore seems worn and other pellets fall through.

From what I remember the home made front dioptre was made from copper water pipe but worked very well.

Cheers, Phil
    I've recently acquired one of these pre-war Milbro branded Diana 27's from Mel (Chippendale on here) at the last BBS airgun Bash. Many thanks for that Mel.
    It shoots both powerfully and accurately over its open sights, though in contrast to Phil's remark about some pellets falling through, all the different flavours of .177 pellet I've shot through it (about 7 or 8 types) have been tight to thumb into the breech.
    Best regards, Clogger

Quote Originally Posted by CLOGGER View Post
    I've recently acquired one of these pre-war Milbro branded Diana 27's from Mel (Chippendale on here) at the last BBS airgun Bash. Many thanks for that Mel.
    It shoots both powerfully and accurately over its open sights, though in contrast to Phil's remark about some pellets falling through, all the different flavours of .177 pellet I've shot through it (about 7 or 8 types) have been tight to thumb into the breech.
    Best regards, Clogger
    To be fair, I have never come across another '27', whatever branded, that had this pellet issue. I somehow can't believe it was bore wear through use. Whatever, it was a great rifle, as are all the '27' ilk. I love them. I have one branded 'The Triumph'. Maybe made for and sold by a particular retailer?

Cheers, Phil

I had one it was smooth bore but was still accurate