Thread: A theory to explain the attributes of serial #45 Westley Richards “Highest Possible”

A theory to explain the attributes of serial #45 Westley Richards “Highest Possible”

The serial number “45” would put this pistol at a time when WR is thinking of possibly making changes to the original design. They are planning to go from horn to vulcanite for grip material. The grips on this pistol are a prototype for this transition which would be simplified for actual production, starting shortly.

The pistol is advertised as a target pistol yet has fixed sights, they are looking for designs to improve this? This pistol is a first prototype to try to address this issue as well. The front sight when looked at closely is not stationary but has screws underneath so that it can be loosened to move it from the end of the barrel to tight up against the frame. This is actually a clever way to adjust the vertical point of aim? Not sure I have seen this done but why create such an odd complex front sight? I would love to test this theory but my front sight after 100 years and rebluing isn’t going anywhere. Obviously they shortly ended up choosing an adjustable rear sight.

I’m sure many people will see this differently but not sure the above doesn’t make sense? Especially in the context of the time frame and the changes that will shortly take place? At the very least I should get a “over thinking it” award.

Last edited by 45flint; 29-10-2023 at 02:44 PM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    When it comes to the front sight Steve, it is a plausible hypothesis, although the fact that the gun has at some stage received quite extensive restoration demands extra caution. However, I think we can be sure that the grip plates are original Westley Richards items and would only ever have been intended for this gun. I have researched Westley Richards firearms pistols, in case these grip plates might have been adapted from some other WR handgun, and although WR did use checkered vulcanite grips on some of their pistols, none I have seen could possibly have been adapted to the unique shape of the Highest Possible grip without it being patently obvious.

The only slight niggle about these grips being experimental transitional between the horn grips and the vulcanite grips is that the serial number 45 is quite a bit earlier than when the transition actually occurred in the market place (somewhere between SN 109 -387). But then again, there would be a period while the new design was being refined and the stock of old horn grips was being run down, so I for one am comfortable thinking that your pistol is a genuine example of the trial of a new grip by WR.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 28-10-2023 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    When it comes to the front sight Steve, it is a plausible hypothesis, although the fact that the gun has at some stage received quite extensive restoration demands extra caution. However, I think we can be sure that the grip plates are original Westley Richards items and would only ever have been intended for this gun. I have researched Westley Richards firearms pistols, in case these grip plates might have been adapted from some other WR handgun, and although WR did use checkered vulcanite grips on some of their pistols, none I have seen could possibly have been adapted to the unique shape of the Highest Possible grip without it being patently obvious.

The only slight niggle about these grips being experimental transitional between the horn grips and the vulcanite grips is that the serial number 45 is quite a bit earlier than when the transition actually occurred in the market place (somewhere between SN 109 -387). But then again, there would be a period while the new design was being refined and the stock of old horn grips was being run down, so I for one am comfortable thinking that your pistol is a genuine example of the trial of a new grip by WR.
    I’m not so sure I would use the words “extensive restoration” though I understand what you are saying. It certainly was extensive refinishing of a pistol that surely had its share of rust and pitting. However, looking the pistol over and taking it apart, I see no restoration but for refinishing, all parts are original (except piston seal) and work very smoothly. There is no evidence of abuse? It’s just difficult for me to think that the front sight is not original? The design of the sight is so unique, looks factory made, and in similar “pitted” condition as the rest of the pistol. If original then you have to ask the question why was this done in the context of the pistol’s development? I can’t imagine that you change to a more complicated sight for no reason? If the pistol is a trial for a new grip it adds credence that other changes may be trials as well?
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-10-2023 at 11:09 AM.

Another difference to #45

Just noticed something else that is different with Serial #45. The barrel is longer than standard, it is 2 5/8 vs 2 1/4, from end of front sight post, for standard. Total barrel length is 9 5/8 vs. 10 inches. I can see one reason for WR to go to the trouble to make the barrel longer than standard and that is to give more room for the moveable sight to adjust for elevation? This I think at the very least reinforces that this sight is factory, they are adjusting barrel length for it?

Last edited by 45flint; 30-10-2023 at 12:55 AM.