Thread: Renaissance Wax

Renaissance Wax

I've been using Renaissance Wax for several years and am very pleased with it.

When applying a coat of oil to a gun, I have always used an old rag to do so and I have been doing this with the wax too. However, it seems to rot the old cotton T shirt I have been using and does not like the material.

What do others use to apply the wax? Am I going wrong with an old T shirt?

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 30-10-2023 at 08:21 PM.
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I also use it, but apply it with some disposable lint free cloth from a big roll, so haven’t noticed if it rots cotton. I’d also be interested to hear if that’s happened to others.

I also use it to revive and preserve old stocks & cabinets. I use a cotton cloth for polishing and a cotton make-up pad for first application. The old cotton (maybe mixed with a bit of plastic?) cloth (t-sthirt) does not rot, but does have old hard spots from ealier wax polish jobs (this must sound pretty raunchy without context hhh).
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I also use it to revive and preserve old stocks & cabinets. I use a cotton cloth for polishing and a cotton make-up pad for first application. The old cotton (maybe mixed with a bit of plastic?) cloth (t-sthirt) does not rot, but does have old hard spots from ealier wax polish jobs (this must sound pretty raunchy without context hhh).
    Lol! Maybe the T shirt I used was of a poorer quality than yours!

Has anyone used anything other than cotton?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I use to use waxol on guns especially on the metal hidden by the stock, just brush it on and apply a heat gun slightly so it evens out. At least you know that this area is protected if it rains or gets damp and it will be a while to take the stock off.
    As for the Renaissance wax you can do the same with this, slightly apply warm heat from a hot air gun to even it out. You can also make your own Renaissance wax, by buying the wax crystals, certain type and pure turpentine and heating together to form the wax paste.

I use Renaissance wax to protect the blades on my Puma knife collection.
    On my guns I use Ballistol Oil on a rag and wipe them down.

Sam

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    I’ve still got some Renaissance wax left but someone gave me another brand of Microcrystalline wax and it’s been just as good, only much cheaper when I need to buy another tin.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.