Thread: Best way to refinish a gun stock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    It depends on the current finish.

If it’s oil then strip it with meths and scotchbrite pads ( fine grade will do the job ), use a nylon brush on the chequering and then clean out with a tooth pick.

Let it dry for 24hrs, then steam any dings and if the gun is used there will be dings. Let it dry before sanding with scotchbrite pads, medium down to extra fine and then wash off with spirit.

If not staining then the first coat should be 50/50 of chosen oil and spirit, for me this is always Alkanet oil. Leave it 24hrs and then fill the grain using the alkanet oil and 1000grit wet n dry paper, dont wipe off the slurry just leave it 24hrs before buffing it off with lint free cloth. Check it over and see if any grain needs further filling, if not then you can start the months long process of building a very nice oil finish.

Thin coat of oil, wait an hour and buff off with lint free cloth, do this every other day for fortnight and them once a week for a couple of months. If you prefer a more satin finish then the last piece is to use xxxfine pumice powder to take the sheen back a little. She’ll be silky smooth if done well.

Tru-oil is hideous varnish that is only fit for bar tops in the local boozer, just my opinion…
    If using Alkanet oil, do you use it during the whole process, or just for the first coat to achieve the colour then continue with Linseed oil?

Thanks.

Toni

Quote Originally Posted by ToniD View Post
    If using Alkanet oil, do you use it during the whole process, or just for the first coat to achieve the colour then continue with Linseed oil?
    During the whole process.

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    During the whole process.

Thanks

Does anyone know what coating they put on the HW 99s stock Please?
    Last edited by ToniD; 08-03-2024 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniD View Post
    Does anyone know what coating they put on the HW 99s stock Please?
    Lacquer, same as all factory beech stocks.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Thanks, I'm new to this.

Toni

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Lacquer, same as all factory beech stocks.
    Usually with a stain added to it.

A retired cabinet maker friend, now long gone due to the amount of ciggys he got through, revamped the beech stock on his HW80 so that it fit him corectly. I admired the finish on the original beech and asked how he treated the end grain on the front of the pistol grip as when I tried to use stain there it ended up really dark compared with the rest of the stock. He told me he used a light coat of what he called button polish on that area before applying stain.