[QUOTE=Waddy;8292545]I've got a stock that I've made out of beech, a beech stock off an AA 510 & a Hatsan stock (no idea what the wood is) that I'm going to have a stab at doing this week, after reading up on it I've decided to use boiled linseed oil with a wax finish.

It'll take quite a while to let the oil soak in & dry in multiple layers but it should be worth it. Having bought a second hand 97 with a oiled & waxed finish it's incredible how much nicer it is to hold over a varnish finish.

If you have not used boiled linseed before then I suggest you use raw. If boiled is not absorbed before it dries you will be left with gummy deposit on the surface, especially in any chequering, which is an absolute pig to remove. Raw can be applied in flood coats that will eventually be absorbed by the wood, any that is not absorbed will remain fluid for many days. Find some artists grade linseed as it will dry quickly without gumming. Your 97 stock will just need the wax removing with a wax remover or meths and then treating with oil.