Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to refinish a gun stock

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post
    just butting in here sorry :-

Just wondering if any one as had good success refinishing Beech stocks , ive got a HW80 and a pros-port , that could do with a make over .
    I’ve used a CCL kit on a Webley Omega and Webley .410 shotgun. You will definitely need to raise and seal the comparatively porous wood, but it does work quite nicely. Worth using something like red root oil to stain the wood before oiling. You’ll need to stain darker than you want it to end up, as it lightens during oiling/palming.

Just wondering if any one as had good success refinishing Beech stocks , ive got a HW80 and a pros-port , that could do with a make over .

Same process for Beech as it is for Walnut, although you could use Danish oil on the beech.

Not Tru-oil, never Tru-oil

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Only difference to the two is it tends to be darkened to make it look Walnut but otherwise it behaves the same.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

I have done 3 beech stocks, the first two went well but I wasn't happy with the last one. It had a lot of residual staining after removing the original finish. I had it sanded up nicely but tried the trick of soaking in bleach water to remove the stain. This kind of worked but the wood never took on the stain I applied successfully, maybe because of the bleach. I originally used Danish oil over the stain but refinished using a coloured wax. Still not what I was after but its OK I guess.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    The Bleach was probably still in the wood effectively, it's a bugger for seeming dry when it's not quite, probably best to let it sit for quite a while after bleaching in a warm dry place so it goes completely dry.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Yes beech stocks the same, you may have to darken them if you don't like the natural lighter colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    The Bleach was probably still in the wood effectively, it's a bugger for seeming dry when it's not quite, probably best to let it sit for quite a while after bleaching in a warm dry place so it goes completely dry.
    You need to neutralise the bleach with white vinegar.

I have used oxalic acid to bring out the grain in a beech stock before oiling.

I recently used Parker Hale walnut oil on a walnut stock and lots of light coats and buffing in between has given a really nice satin finish.

Lots of sanding with very fine grade paper(2000-3000)is worthwhile before applying the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    You need to neutralise the bleach with white vinegar.
    Thanks for that tip, it only occurred to me that the bleach might of been a factor as I posted on this thread.

Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Alkanet oil on beech:

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    Alkanet oil on beech:

Great looking finish you got going there fella.. Does the Alkanet oil you’ve used have dye in it or did you apply some before?

Looks very nice Vestlenning,i had someone do my stock recently and it came out similar to yours

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE View Post
    Great looking finish you got going there fella.. Does the Alkanet oil you’ve used have dye in it or did you apply some before?
    Homemade Alkanet; no dye, just Alkanna Tinctoria and boiled linseed oil.
    Last edited by vestlenning; 11-11-2023 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    Homemade Alkanet; no dye, just Alkanna Tinctoria and boiled linseed oil.
    Might do a few experiments, cheers.

You can’t say “no dye , just Alkanet oil” Alkanet is a dye in its own right, it’s what Indian cooking uses to add the colour to Rogan Josh.