Thread: Scatt ?

Scatt ?

I'm thinking about getting a SCATT, any users on here ?
    Anybody know the difference between the Basic / Professional / Expert software ?

What do you intend to get out of it, do you shoot pistol or rifle, I use it a lot for analysis and problem solving but you really need to know what you are doing and use it properly to get the best out of it if it is not end up sitting on a shelf unused.

I shoot pistol and rifle, air, rimfire, centrefire and muzzle loaders.
    Im not sure if i need a Scatt to cover every discipline, it would be nice but at the minute my 10m air pistol is helping my other pistol shooting, im starting 10m rifle soon and i would expect that to help my LWSR so 10m air might be enough to work on to pull everything up a bit.

I think the USB Scatt can be used for 10m air live fire and can be used to dry fire for rimfire.
    It seems to use the Professional,software

The MX-02 or the MX-W2 can be used for everything live or dry fire which might be nice, they use the Expert software.

Looking at the Basic Scatt it looks like it won't give me enough info.

I don't really see it being used as a practice tool.
    I really want it to speed up problem solving, at the minute progress is slow because i have to try different things and collect data, i use the target scan app which is a great tool but its still a slow process.
    I don't have access to any coaching so Scatt looks like a good way to problem solve.

The last bit "I don't have access to coaching" says it all for me.
    You are very much wanting to go forwards and have also found air has helped everything else you shoot, good.
    The way I think to go for you is to pick up a scatt usb second hand, the reason I say that one is there are a few about and they work well. As others will tell you too it can blind you with science with what it can do but you can keep it simple as do the top coaches in the World. There is no hiding when you shoot at a scatt it shows up everything you do wrong, too much to put here.
    PM me

Thanks, i hope to be getting a look at a USB version in a couple of weeks.
    I want enough information but not too much, reading some post about them the users are obviously into the scatt technology as much as or more than shooting, i just want a tool to progress my shooting.

It is very intuitive once you have settled down on it and you are shooting "normally" you will be able to see exactly what you are doing wrong by just looking at the traces, eg looking at the target (pistol) and not the front sight, taking too long, not settling (too short), triggering problems and the one that has such a positive effect on trigger and sight alignment - a good solid follow through. The only "graph" I use is "trace speed" as this shows up when those on it start to speed up due to anxiety due to stopping breathing, tensing up their arm or tightening their grip on the pistol.
    One of our club members is in the GB squad and trains with the scatt every time she picks up her rifle using one of the later scatts that does not need a special target, this one picks up the "picture" using a camera and sends it all to the phone in her shooting jacket pocket.
    New Scatts are difficult to come by at this moment due to the trade embargoes placed on Russia where they are made, you can get hold of them s/h but the more modern ones are like hens teeth but the older USB ones are about s/h if you keep an eye out. The newer ones feel rather bulky on a pistol and is why I like the older usb one and put up with the cable but that is just me. The sensor on the gun picks up the trigger "click" to know when the shot is released and on some electronic pistols this has been hit or miss but moving the sensor towards the trigger guard cures it and is then reliable. Light on the target need to be good for the camera types and works superbly with Sport quantum electronic targets, the usb one is radiant heat sensitive and it can be pulled out of focus by such things as a warm wall with the sun on it as it works using infra red detection. If I sound a bit of a scatt fan you are not far wrong.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Scatt

Just get a used Scatt USB with the standard programming, there is still even much too much geek-dome on that, all you need is what appears on the basic trace screen, that's all I use coaching right up to with International shooters.

I've used one for coaching for very many years, almost since Scatt came out, a wonderful tool that tells all! You can't hide from the facts.

But they do need an experienced and perceptive eye to get the best knowledge from them, so best used with an experienced scatt aware coach, its why so many end up being bought by shooters, used half a dozen times and then gather dust, and why there are always used ones for sale. There's a USB one on Stirton now for the average going price.

Best of luck, and have fun.

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?