Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6ft lbs co2 pellet pistol?

You're right, Crosman changed from blow off valves to knock open valves, but I'm not sure exactly when.
    That old pistol of yours self cocked when you pumped it I think/ - it was one of the early types. They used the same mechanism on the rifles such as the 140.
    Overall I think the knock open valve is better, it's more reliable and doesn't suffer from heavy trigger syndrome.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    The Crosman 1377 & 1322 had better triggers & used the knock open valve, the earlier 1300 had a blow off valve & the trigger pull got heavier the more you pumped it. They also had an annoying habit until they were run in of the quad ring valve not seating properly. This could lead to you firing & upon pumping up again the gun could occasionally discharge prematurely.
    I have seen this happen on two 1300's of similar vintage. It is very sensible never to load a pellet & close the breech until after you have pumped it up.
    While using mine about 45 years ago I had put one in the breech & was pumping it up. The swing of the handle was such that the side of your hand can go across the muzzle when pumping. At approx 10 pumps it went off & plugged me in the palm at the base of my forefinger. Didnt half sting i can tell you!
    I had to pull the .22 pellet out with tweezers.
    I never pumped a 1300 with the breech closed & one up the spout ever again!

Yikes! I bet you didn't!

I saw a video review of that horrible Umarex Strike Point pump pistol - with those you have to cock them before you pump, to prime the valve. The reviewer was cocking and loading the gun before pumping, during which the muzzle was swinging round all over the place from the pumping effort, a bad idea.
    I've used one and you need to cock it, pump it, then re-open the bolt to load the pellet. Quite a faff.
    I think there's a reason the 1377 is still in production.