Thread: Sharps Ace Brass Trigger

Sharps Ace Brass Trigger

Years ago i had a selection of Sharps Aces but one i had in .22 had a lighter stock and a brass trigger and it was threaded for silencer. I even send this gun off to John Bowkett for a upgrade on the valve to have a ceramic valve seating fitted making it more efficient.
    I am not sure where the Brass triggers came from, anyone know? but were much better than the plastic standard type. I am not sure how the barrel was threaded, as the barrel is not cut from a solid bar it is a barrel liner in a barrel shroud as standard on Sharps, cant remember if there was enough meat at the end to thread for a silencer, it certainly didn't have an threaded silencer adapter. Would love to know where it ended up. Another gun on my list.

Ace barrels are solid so easily screw cut, Similar size to hw80 or Theoben. Its the Sharp innova that is sleeved, Dave Pope of Venom made a couple of triggers in brass for us at Target Sports of Bolton for the Sharp ace and one for the sharp innova just as they moved to the Gun barrel works at Cradley Heath from Trapshot & Lye in the early 80s. Mach 1.5 can give you a better explanation on dates but 1984 rings a bell when they did ours as we had to wait until they had finished moving.. These where done as well as the venom valve conversions on the Aces. The Ace trigger is far superior to the Innova trigger and was a lot easier to do. None that i know of where made for other people as the cost outweighed the price of the rifle in those days. Maybe you ended up with one of our Sharp aces, I still own the first one that Dave and Ivan did for us. The venom bullpup emerged out of the work Dave and Ivan did on our early requests. Col.

Thanks Colin G good to still know when i eventually get one.

i know i have no brass triggers but i may still have brass trigger shoes and some billet ace trigger blocks

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    i know i have no brass triggers but i may still have brass trigger shoes and some billet ace trigger blocks
    Handy to know, thanks.

Ace valve

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Ace barrels are solid so easily screw cut, Similar size to hw80 or Theoben. Its the Sharp innova that is sleeved, Dave Pope of Venom made a couple of triggers in brass for us at Target Sports of Bolton for the Sharp ace and one for the sharp innova just as they moved to the Gun barrel works at Cradley Heath from Trapshot & Lye in the early 80s. Mach 1.5 can give you a better explanation on dates but 1984 rings a bell when they did ours as we had to wait until they had finished moving.. These where done as well as the venom valve conversions on the Aces. The Ace trigger is far superior to the Innova trigger and was a lot easier to do. None that i know of where made for other people as the cost outweighed the price of the rifle in those days. Maybe you ended up with one of our Sharp aces, I still own the first one that Dave and Ivan did for us. The venom bullpup emerged out of the work Dave and Ivan did on our early requests. Col.
    Hi Colin, do you know just what Venom did to the ace valve ?

Following with interest as I have a project ace in the cupboard. What other mods were done in the dat to these? I've heard about JB converting valves and modding bolts but never seen any details. There has to be pictures out there?

Quote Originally Posted by notomorow View Post
    Hi Colin, do you know just what Venom did to the ace valve ?
    Yes but i am not prepared to say in full or show any pics of the valve or brass swept back trigger unless its to members like Paul, Mach 1.5 for his records. It would be to easy to copy and pass off as Venom and as very few valves where converted Including the Innova bullpup there would be no point.
    There is nothing special about the valve that improved it from the original, It is machined to take a valve stem instead of the usual seals and ball bearing gubbins and a little bit more chamber space. Also harder to maintain in my opinion, The valves on these rifles are already perfectly adequate for what they are intended for.
    Dont forget that these rifles where cheap and cheerful at the time in the 80s and was told by Mr Pope that i had asked him to polish a turd as the metal work on The Ace and Innova where atrocious. My rifle was done free through Target Sports of Bolton to see what could be done, I only paid for the stock and the brass open sights,
    It was not cost effective to produce the Ace and Innova like many of the other rifles they did. There was no call for them when Venom already had a vast array of excellent rifles already. Brass was the only bling in the 80s.
    Adding a bit of bling and a nice bluing job in those days made it look cool and it shot 10 times better because everyone everywhere had bog standard rifles off the shelf.
    We know this isnt true but if it made you feel and shoot better then good for you.
    Then along came Venom, The rest is history.
    Even our very own Mr I.J. was impressed with this ace and was the first to test it. Bless you I.J. Sadly missed. Col.